Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this the way to do it?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by reitedasc, Mar 6, 2006.

1. reitedasc

reitedasc

Jun 23, 2005
    Norway
  2. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    You don't need to stretch your strings. String your bass, tune it up, and let the strings do their own thing. They'll stretch on their own, if they do at all.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    First off, that guy is a yahoo.

When I stretch my strings I do pull them up like that, but don't gank on 'em or swing the bass around by them.

-Pull up on them firmly and smoothly. Do it a bunch of times. I usuall pull from around the base of the fretboard.

-retune that string.

-repeat this process until the string doesn't come out of pitch when you pull on it.

Repeat the process for all the strings.

If you don't do this, your bass is going to be pretty unplayable for going out of tune every 30 seconds....

BTW, you're not really stretching the strings as much as you're seating them at the tuning pegs, and at the witness points.

4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

That looks a little extreme. I barely stretch my strings compared to him. IIRC you shouldn't stretch your roundcore strings, only hexcore strings. You're suposed to let roundcores stretch on their won. Correct me if I'm wrong.

5. I use the same method as BurningSkies and never have a problem. I don't see what difference it makes whether the strings are round core or hex core.

6. After watching that video, I wonder if I'll ever buy a used bass! What abuse!

7. that guy is really really irritating.

I never stretch strings like that... I stretch them first by fretting a note roundabout the 5th fret, and stretching the string between the fretted note and the bridge LIGHTLY... then fret the 12th fret (or thereabouts) and stretch the string between the fretted note and the tuning peg LIGHTLY.

This way you dont put too much pressure on all your hardware at once. There's just no need to swing your bass about by the strings... none at all.

8. yeah, that guy is crazy... and annoying to boot.

i always fret the 1st fret so as not to put too much strain on the nut - i just dropped $60.00 on strings, i don't want to have to pay for a repair job too!

9. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    +1

I pull them up away from the fret board like that, then I gently run my hand back and forth from bridge end to nut end a few times, re-tune, and enjoy.

10. reitedasc

reitedasc

Jun 23, 2005
    Norway
    Thanks for sharing your experience (everybody)!

11. lol, that vid is too dirty.

"just grab it, and stretch it. yank it, shake about like this or whatever..."

perhaps its just me, but all the new strings I've used don't go out of tune *that quick*. nothing unplayable, or noticable 'till up to about an hour... no need for stretching.

seems like an ideal way to bust a brand new pack o strings...

12. I used to pull upwards a bit and run back and forth from bridge to nut like Matt B. up there. But then realized that dead skin cells from those long slides are getting the strings gunky right off the bat and don't do it anymore. Especially with guitar.

I tend to do my stretching as follows.

-String up
    -Tune to standard EADG
    -Tune roughly to sharp E#A#D#G#
    -Sit for 1-2 minutes
    -Tune to standard EADG

13. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    That video is disturbing on many levels - I could hear my bass screaming while I watched it.

14. bkief1

bkief1

Dec 25, 2005
    To watch that is hideous...Once you stretch a piece/string of metal in the manner as described, the string/metal will not return to its' original position/shape.

To properly stretch the string, may I suggest tuning each string up one whole step (E to F#, A to B, etc.), for about an hour. Return and retune your bass strings as normal, and your strings will be just fine.

This is also recommended for guitar strings.

HTH

15. picknslap

picknslap

Sep 9, 2004
    Manteca
    I use the method bkief1 mentioned, tuning a half step above and letting the bass do what it does to the strings, sometimes the strings will be in tune after just letting it sit for a while.

I have seen a few videos by that guy, he's, weird. And I found is Expert Village site, he has some interesting things to say.

http://hobbies.expertvillage.com/interviews/bass-guitar-basics.htm

16. Keskin

Keskin

Feb 20, 2006
    Lmao
    I do stretch my strings but no that excessive, i just slap every string a few times thats enough for me.. Ok they go slightly off tune after that but thats barely noticable so i just tune them between the songs for the next half hour and thats it.

17. Some time ago I had a long phone conversation with Bill Lawrence, the pickup designer.

He was vehemently opposed to string stretching. He said it destroys the modulus of elasticity in the string, resulting in a string that never stays in tune because it continues to stretch.

As a result of that conversation, I never stretch a string other than bringing it to pitch. Mine stay in tune for months (on the P-bass).

18. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    From what I've seen, I've never had to stretch strings on bass. With proper tuners they should rarely come out of tune, even if they are new, fresh, out-of-the-box strings.

Guitar strings are a completely different animal.