Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this thing on?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Feb 28, 2006.

1. As long as I'm posting, let me point out that it's raining like all get-out here. Reminds me of Ithaca, except 30 degrees warmer.

2. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    Im in Ithaca right now, and its freezing. But in all honesty, it hasn't been too bad of a winter - yet. there is still the whole month of March to make up for all of that.
    Are you from Ithaca, or did you go to school here?

3. Conrell Universitary, May 2003. ITHACA IS GANGSTA!

4. For those who live in major urban areas, traffic congestion is a vexing problem. One possible interpretation of congestion is that it is a form of interpersonal conflict. Coombs (1987) provides a useful framework for understanding conflicts within and among individuals. This paper attempts to view the problem of traffic congestion within Coombs’ framework, particularly in light of the interpretation put forth by Downs (1992/2004) of congestion as allocation by queuing.

While congestion and responses thereto are the subjects of a considerable literature going back to the 1920s (Lindsey, Verhoef 2000), and the motivations behind travel behavior have received study more recently by individuals such as Patricia Mokhtarian, surprisingly little attention has been paid to the micro foundations of congestion itself (Levinson 2005). One exception to this is Downs (1992, revised 2004), which puts forth an elegant explanation for traffic congestion: it is allocation by queuing, as opposed to a conventional market which allocates goods by price. An “un-tolled” road or freeway is a first-come, first-serve system. Once traffic exceeds free-flow capacity, drivers who choose to use this road pay with their time for the privilege. Because each additional car on a congested road creates greater social costs (primarily in goods movement delays and air pollution) than it bears itself, it makes sense to charge drivers the difference (i.e., congestion pricing).

Levinson (2005) attempts to establish a micro foundation by using game theory to analyze congestion in its simplest form—two vehicles wanting to use a piece of infrastructure (such as a canal lock or ferry) that can only accommodate one of them at a time. In his introduction, Levinson expresses his frustration with congestion models that assume numerous vehicles. While further work may explore this in greater detail, this paper does not attempt to explain why congestion itself develops. Instead, it examines the implications of treating congestion as conflict, both interpersonal and intrapersonal. In so doing, it follows Salomon and Mokhtarian (1997), which analyzes the behavioral motivations behind individuals’ responses to congestion. The analytical framework used by this paper is that presented in “The Structure of Conflict,” by Clyde Coombs (1987).

This paper first presents a brief summary of Coombs. Next, it explores how conflict, per Coombs’ definition, can explain traffic congestion. The paper then examines the Coombs implications of various individual and policy responses to congestion, using the list of strategies set forth by Salomon and Mokhtarian (1997). Finally, it concludes with a discussion of the policy implications of understanding traffic congestion as conflict.

5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    The return of the Smug one!

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Did you say :

[​IMG]

7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    w00t!

you here to stay?

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Nice to see that you are alive. :)

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

I always figured you for a traffic geek.

brad cook

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I feel like I inadvertantly woke you from the dead or something with the title of this thread from last weekend.

bc

11. hey P-dizzle, I said the most hipsterish phrase of my life last weekend and I thought you'd appreciate it, ready?

"Hey do you guys have the new Belle and Sebastian on vinyl?"

12. Bruce Lindfield

I bought the special limited edition version - which is made up like a hardback book, with the CD on one side and a DVD of the band playing live for BBC Scotland on the other - plus the "book" 's pages have loads of interviews with the band, lyrics etc. :)

13. Bruce Lindfield

[​IMG]

Probably only available in Britain....:smug:

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    :smug:

....it LIVES!!!

:eek:

....welcome back, you smug bastard.

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    [​IMG]

:D

16. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA

Welcome back.

17. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

18. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

And, pray do tell, where exactly is 'Conrell Universitary'?

:eyebrow:

:D

19. Welcome Back

(HA! gotya, im so lost right now in the thread so i figured id just go along with it.)