Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this to good to be true?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Michael Case, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Sure looks good, even with the missing info 'bout the history and the very basic (lack of) care. It may very well be a risk worth takin...
    you'll get more info from the knowledgeable sages that hang around here who can size an instrument from a couple seconds lookin at it :).

2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    the top is obviously splitting. Looks like theres some decent amount of chip action on the bottom right of the table. Seems like the closeup photo's conveniently edited them out. Also, is it me or is the back of the pegbox cracked? Or is that just a bunch of scratches?

3. The pegbox cracks were mentioned in the listing. That is kind of disheartening. I'm really just curious, but if an instrument is too good to turn down I'll go for it. Maybe the ebay bass aint it.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

If it looks too good to be true - it generally is!! ;)

5. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    The scroll is ugly but I would say fixable. A saddle crack is common and also quite easy to repair[with the top off]. For 900 bucks i'd consider buying it on spec. I'd worry 'bout the shippiing though. UPS is gonna "professionally" box it? and how much?

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But it's $910 already and the reserve isn't met - isn't this the insidious nature of eBay - you get drawn into what looks like a bargain and end up paying more than it's really worth, once you've decided that's the one for you? :meh:

7. Kam

Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    UPS will destroy.

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    How does one 'good'?

:)

9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I am guessing the repair and setup needs would tack on a respectable stack o' scratch to the final "what you have in it" cost. If there are that many obvious bugs in the bass, there's likely a few hidden ones as well.

I don't know enough about it to know what it would be worth once up to snuff.

It is a sweet looking bass though. I really like the shape and finish, and I love the look of external linings.

10. ctcruiser

ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    I always advise anyone interested in an item listed on eBay is to make one bid for the item. The amount should be the highest of what you are willing to pay for it. Then, just walk away and wait for the auction to end. If you win with a lower amount, it is a bonus. If you win with the highest amount, then you won with your best price. If you lose, it is because someone else was willing to get wrapped up in the bidding war or it was something they were will to pay more for.

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I will defer to JEFEJEFF, but that pegbox repair looks to scary for my blood. If it happened to my bass I would be happy that JEFEJEFF fixed it two good too worry about (happy, Ray?), but I would be put off buying a bass to which it had happened.

hmmm, but if it sounded like MY bass....

12. I know, it was late when I posted this. :(

13. I kind of put this bass out of my head. I'm gonna save some bread and look around town.

14. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    That bass could be worth $6-8K once repaired :meh:

Even if you can pick this up for $1500, depending on the reserve of course, and say repairs are another $1500, it may not be a bad deal.

Of course it all depends on what the seller is willing to let this bass go at.

15. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.

It is just a commercial German shop Bass. Now it has a Sound Post/Saddle Crack and a poorly repaired multi-fractured Scroll.

The Scroll needs to be repaired again or replaced or someone might get hurt. The sound post crack will not be cheap to fix. I estimate 2-3k in repairs to do it right if not more. If that Bass didn't have those cracks/breaks, it might be a decent Bass to buy. They go for 3-5k on average, maybe more or maybe less depending. If it was a Wilfer, Rubner or Pollmann Bass, it could go higher but still, you have the Scroll to deal with.

I have a 200 year old English with an old Scroll repair. After Varnish touch-up, you need to be real close to see the repair. It was repaired about 25 years or or so.

Blow up the pics and see if you can find the repair. This is how repairs should be done; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/DoubleBasses/Dodd/images/dodd11.jpg
    http://www.kensmithbasses.com/DoubleBasses/Dodd/images/dodd9.jpg

I saw this damage above the A-string tuner/plate before I bought the Bass and some more in the back and top of the scroll. The repair was done so well, I didn't care a bit about it as if it wasn't there. The Scroll break on that Ebay Bass scares me. It's worse than mine by far but the repair looks to be poorly done.

16. Ken would you say that a German shop bass in need of that much work is something to be avoided?

17. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    ray parker, i love that you are a stickler for proper grammar.
    ed, i think you have the wrong "to" there, twice.....awesome. :D

18. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Well, if this were some sort of special Italian, English, Fench, American or even a fine handmade Czech or German Bass I might be the high bidder myself. Being that it is a VERY common 20th century German Shop Bass that needs some MAJOR Repairs, I would find something else to do with my money than gamble on a Bass that is nothing special at all.

The chances of buying that, fixing it and selling it for the total spent is not all that great. If you already own the Bass and just wanna keep it 'running', then do as you need. To buy this as an investment or a 'too good to be true' venture, keep walking!

It's only 'too good to be true' for the seller that paid between $100 and $300 new for this Bass at most. In 1965, a fully carved Juzek Bass made by Wenzel Wilfer started at $200 at Metropolitan Music in NYC. In 1971, I bought the 3/4 Master Art model labelled Wenzel Wilfer for $875, Violin Cornered AAAAA Flame Maple Back, ribs and Neck/Scroll with individuaol German made French style Gears. It was listed for $850. in the catalog but Robert Juzek yelled in Czech at his son Bobby (a full grown adult) because they couldn't get these Basses anymore. Bobby came back and said his father was upset and want's $25. more for that Bass. I hesitated, took a deep breath and said...... Ok, I'll buy it...... True Story....

A friend of mine has that Bass now and the estimated Value is $12k. I sold it in 1975 with a fingered C-extension on it for $1,800. It is in good condidtion but a few years ago, the Bass decided to split up the Sound post and Bass Bar.

That Bass has been worked on by Andrea Fantoni, Peter Eibert, Paul Biase and Jeff Bollbach. The latter two under the current ownership. Fantoni put a fingered Extension on it. I was in a car accident in 1972 and the Neck was replaced along with the Fingered Ext. done by Eibert.

When buying a Bass, remember that a crack can cost the same on a 2k Bass as it would on a 200k Bass. The older Bass may have more calateral repairs but still, it's time and materials on the work bench.

Shop around and stay off Ebay unless you're an expert. Most bargans are in our dreams.