Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this to much to take on?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Sultan Of Swing, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Sultan Of Swing

Sultan Of Swing

May 31, 2002
    I Can play the Guitar (alright I suppose, although no Knopfler) and am just starting to play bass.

My problem is that i like to do things my way when it comes to ideas, from sleeve covers to lyrics to the sound and its often difficult to get whats in my head onto the instruments of muscians. Its also a time consuming process and can result in numerous hours of frustration and raised voices.

Do you think it would be to much and show to much of a megalomaniac attitude to actually go about the process of doing everything myself.

I've always wanted to make a CD and thought I could purchase one of those Digital Studios and compose my own songs with me doing everything except the drums (which the studio can simulate anyway).

Although i have every faith in the studio's avaialble I'm just not sure wether this is entirely feasible.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Do you think this is to much to take on

2. You can buy a digital portable studio and a drum machine for less than a couple grand and do it all yourself. I've gone that route before and, although the drum programming can be tedious, the results were good. The only real drawback is that it takes away some of the spontaneity that can result in a band setting. The newer digital studios are nice because you can bounce tracks without losing a whole lot of the quality-- unlike the old analog portable multi-track recorders.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Go for it. I do both. I love the control of solo stuff, but I also love the interaction in a quality band. PC recording is getting really affordable these days.

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    if it worked for Moby and Squarepusher, Go for it!

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Just a thought and a question related to it. If you make this CD all by yourself, do you ever intend to perform the music, say in a club or some similar setting? And if so, will you play everything by yourself or will you get a couple musicians to play some of the parts? And if you do that, don't you risk the same problems you avoided by recording the entire album yourself?