Is this Tokai Hard Puncher PJ Legit? 80s even?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DingusFretter, Jun 14, 2021.

1. DingusFretter

DingusFretter

Jun 14, 2021
    Hello all,

I've been looking for a cheaper alternative to a P-Bass for a while now, right now I'm using a Ray 4 but I want a P just for the sheer versatility. I found this tidy wee looking Tokai and from what i've read these are really good clones if you happen to grab one from the 70s or 80s. I can't seem to date the serial number however and I've yet to see anyone mention this type of logo on other forums. Basically I'm unsure that its 1. A legit Tokai bass and 2. What decade its from. I've attached images below, i P bass body.jpg P bass head.jpg P Bass plate.jpg P bass tuners.jpg f you can help that'd be great!

Cheers!

2. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    I’m definitely not a Hard Puncher expert, but I’ve always assumed that the majority of the HP’s were P basses, not really PJ’s. I do believe there might have been a PJ version in the early ‘80’s but not positive. And I’ve never seen that logo, especially with the Hard Puncher set in such small lettering. Hopefully the TB brain trust will chime in with a true well-versed Tokai guy ….

3. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    York UK
    The machine heads look right with the sleeve adjustment for tightening. These are the same 3 screw machine heads as on my 81 Tokai J. The style of the logo is the same as the second change after the Fender style logo that mine is and a year long run of the block logo. I'd estimate this one is from about '83/4
    The neck plate and numbering look legit too. There is a possibility that the J pickup was added afterwards maybe?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    tindrum and ajkula66 like this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 6, 2021