Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this too much for this bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by purfektstranger, Dec 15, 2005.

1. yes...way too much
    there is no bass worth 15 grand...imo

2. pffff.. that's way to much.. I'd rather have a custom shop fender copy than this thing

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    If you have 15 grand to blow on it, go for it!

Otherwise, No. Way too much.

Mark

4. jordanm

jordanm

Feb 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    While I wouldn't pay over a thousand for it.. I dont think you can technically say a bass that is that rare that sells at auction for any price isnt worth that said price. If there are atleast two people willing to pay that much the bass is worth it, where as possibly no on else on the planet would doesn't really matter.

5. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    That is definately work more than 1000. Probably a good 5 maybe.

Mark

6. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Is it higher then I would pay? Yes. But I've seen "very poor condition but playable all original" 64's go for 6500. That is an exceptional example. It's worth at least ten grand. I'd be surprised if there are a hundred 64's left in that kind of condition. That is probably one of the most collectable basses ever. Heck Pre war Martins have gone for 150,000!

7. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    ehh, your buying history more than a bass IMO.(hence the $15000 price tag)

-Jake

8. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    I have a hard time believing the authenticity of old custom color Fenders, let alone ones being sold over ebay.

9. Yes!! original 1964 olympic white Jazz's are running about $2000 less. it looks like two dealers trying to "jack" the value of a bass. don't trust e-bay sellers. i have made great purchases on e-bay. but it is becoming a snake pit. be aware!
    carefull research pays. :cool:

10. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I'm curious to know how much more than the reserve the buyer wound up paying.

11. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    and I would like to know who in their right mind would have a $15 ax shipped UPS ground? :eyebrow:

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yeah, if I paid that much for a bass, I'd be willing to pay an extra couple hundred to have it shipped next day air.

13. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Of course you're buying history and a name. No one buys a mint '64 to play. If you know someone who did I would like their address so I can come over and punch them.

14. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    exactly, thats why a mint condition relic is of no value other than as a financial investment. a relic with "playing wear" can actually continued to be played.
    If, on the oither hand, you are 30 years old, buy it for $15K, and play it for 40 years, thats only costing $375 a year (some people spend this on strings alone). By the year 2046 you've been playing the sweetest bass on the planet for 4 decades. As an added bonus you sell the bass for like $1 Million. You have actually earned $24,625/every year while playing it. Damn, its a bargain, wheres my credit card!

15. well i'm not to sure about a 64, but i think flea plays a '61 which he so caringly stuck a sticker on...

16. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    But that's the argument is it not? He plays it, I've seen him play it a few times. It's nicked, it's been played, he's not selling it. screw it. Let there be stickers!

17. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    It would not be worth it to me to pay 15 grand for a bass that I would be afraid to play. Then again if I had 15 grand to even think about spending on a bass, then I guess because it is pretty rare and in very good condition, I would not care. I guess it would all be relative.

18. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    seeing that he started this bid at 12 dollars, and 11 bidders have made it so pricey, it's not the seller's fault it's so expensive.

People want things, and people are willing to pay lots of money for those things, it just happens.

Greg

19. FeelTheGroove

FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    Holy crap! That is such a rip off. Only way id pay $15,000 for that bass is if it included Jaco rising from the dead and giving me a lesson.