Is this too much fret buzz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by parmezans, May 19, 2012.

1. parmezans

parmezans

Nov 25, 2011
    I just want to know, because I don't have too much experience with buzz. I just switched strings and don't wanna go to rehearsal with all my notes choked up. :eek:
    So, is this buzz choking the notes, or is it bearable? Because I love the tone.
    Recorded with a MIA Fender Standard Jazz and DR Lo-Riders. Directly into an audio interface and then to my computer. Clean bass signal.
    http://soundcloud.com/mladen-ivkov/fender-jazz-buzz

PS: As always, disclaimer: Don't mind my playing. :bassist:

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Though the recording is extrremely low volume, it sounds fine to me no indication at all of notes fretting out. A little bit of fret rattle actually improves the sound for basses imo.

3. greggster59

greggster59

Oct 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    Sounds ok to me.

4. parmezans

parmezans

Nov 25, 2011
    I had no way of boosting the clean signal without adding an amp in POD farm. Wanted to keep it clean, but the volume is low now.
    Thanks for taking a look.

5. Sounds good to me...and I'd imagine (not my area of expertise) with the clicky-ness from all the buzz (in the pick example) would add more definition to an overdriven/distorted rock tone, so win-win?

6. I keep action on one of my jazzes lower than the other so that I can utilize a bit of the "snarly" tone sometimes ... the first part of your sound clip sounds nice to my ears. The second part represent a music style so different from my own that I find judging tone a bit difficult (cannot disregard fact that music is alien to me :))

7. Essen

Essen Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Norway
    I think it sounds great. I keep my action really low and like darkstorm said, it can make a bass sound better in a way.
    I have very low action on my Jaguar. There's always an amount of buzz. Clean enough for fingerstyle, and it really adds to my pick tone aswell.

8. parmezans

parmezans

Nov 25, 2011
    I have to add, I made a small experiment by saying it's a Fender, it's actually a Squier.
    Just wanted to see what people's tonal taste was, other than the buzz. Because this standard Squier has a badass tone, but can' touch the MIA when it comes to actual playability. It's on par with MIM. When you disregard the fact that it weights 15 pounds. XD
    Thanks for everyone's opinion, now i can play without any worries and with maximum playability. :)

9. the bass sounds fantastic, both the neck and bridge pickups. nice eq'ing as well.

10. parmezans

parmezans

Nov 25, 2011
    Thank you, but no equalizing was done, it's a direct signal from the bass to the audio interface (basically the same as a DI box) and then to the computer.
    Which just gives more props to the bass tone. :bassist:

11. Needs more buzz, actually ;)

12. parmezans

parmezans

Nov 25, 2011
    Haha, interesting answer. :)
    But it interferes with the "playability" part of the Squier.
    This is the lowest I can go without making either the first 5 frets choke out completely, or the frets 14+. But hey... It's a 200$ bass.

13. SteC

SteC

Mar 20, 2012
    New York
    Tone is great yeah. Props to the Squier.

14. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    Have a look on youtube for John Paul Jone bass video interview,there is 3 parts and you,ll hear fret buzz all right and Geddy Lee one.
    Don,t worry what it sounds like unplugged .

15. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    Sounded great to me!!

16. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Wait... it's a Squier?!?!

In that case it sounds terrible!!

Just kidding, I like the sound.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021