is this true?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by paniak17, Apr 4, 2004.

1. is it true to send your guitar to fenders custom shop, its an automatic 3000 dollar charge, even if you want to just replace a pickgaurd?

2. Get Real!

Where on earth did you hear that?

3. from some guy at guitar center
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I would be leery of info from workers at Guitar Center. Some I have talked to didn't seem to be very well informed. CHeck sites like this one, read magazines like Bass Player and contact the people in question yourself.
  5. hmmmmmm thanks dr. cheese, well im going to call fender on monday (tommorow) and ask them about there custom shop.
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I never believe a thing I hear from those idiots working at the large chain stores. The knowledgeable retailers will be working at the specialty and mom-and-pop type stores.

Here's what happens EVERY time I stop in a guitar center:

ME: "I'm looking for a Sansamp Bass Driver DI"
    THEM: "We don't keep those in stock, would you like me to order one for you?"
    ME: "I can order one myself if that's the case. Thanks anyway."

ME: "Also, I'm looking to try an APHEX Xciter pedal".
    THEM: "I can ORDER that for you, if you'd like."

ME: "How about a set of DR stings for 5 string bass?"
    THEM: "No, but we can ORDER those for you. How about a set of these GHS strings?"
    ME: "Not a fan of the GHS, but besides, those are for 4 string bass, not 5."
    THEM: "Oh, well if you want GHS for 5 string, we can order those for you."

ME: "OK, how about a Korg DTR-2000 rack tuner".
    THEM: "Not in stock, but we can order it."

ME: I come to a store to try before I buy. I can order anything I want online, for a cheaper price. I want to give you mybusiness, but you're not making it easy.
    THEM: "You have unreasonable requests."

Almost everything I requested was from a picture ad in Bass Player magazine, stuff that should be no surpise to them to carry as stock. Frankly, I doubt I'll EVER step foot into another Guitar Center.
  7. hahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahaha
  8. im lucky to live by woodwind and brasswind, they carry everything
  9. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    The problem with Guitar Center is that they make money by targetting the largest demographic of musicians. This so happens to be begginers and 12 year olds. The ratio of crap to good gear is probably well over 100:1, and if you want something amazing or high end... forget it. Guitar Center knows full well that the more professional musicians aren't going to be buying there, so they make no effort to accommodate you.
  10. It is tue that Fender Custom shop will charge you $3000.00 to install a pick guard. But I'll tell ya what I'll do. You send me $2000.00 and I'll install the guard, saving you 1000.00. All you have to do is furnish the pickguard, shipping both ways, and give me at least four months to do the work and of course none of the work will be guaranteed. Cash or money order must be recieved 24 hours before shipping. If interested E-Mail me for details. :D :D
  11. i hope your kidding lol anyone can install a pickgaurd.
  12. hey buddy ur a funny guy :mad:
  13. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    k guys correct me if im wrong on this info cuz i researched this a while ago. When i wanted to get my stingray i wanted to see what fender could do for me theroetically so i went to a fender dealer. Theres like 3 differeny levels of custom shop stuff. The first one is just doing whatever they can with pre-existing parts on fenders, like i wanted to put a p-bass pickup in a jazz body with a pbass neck, ironically a year later they came out with the mark sig bass which is that exactly. The second level is doing sumthing new or custom and the 3rd level is a masterbuilder. I was pretty surprised by the prices, cheaper than i thought. The first level was price compareably with a new stingray. I would imagine you could have a pretty nice guitar built by fenders custom shop for 3 grand so thats not remotely true.
  14. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My only complaint is that Fender Mexico won't slap a P-bass neck on a Jazz bass for me :mad:
  15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I'll do it for $500!!! PM me if you're interested.. ;) :D
  16. I'll do it for free, you just gotta lend me your bass for a year
  17. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Off to Misc with you...
  18. In Flames

In Flames

Dec 11, 2003
    Just so you know... I've never had one problem with my Guitar Center. Everytime I've been to mine they have had everything I wanted to check out and very cool people that work there.

so two thumbs up for my GC
  19. I hate guitar Center. When I was buying my Bassman 100 there was the one on display, one in layaway, and one that they couldn't "find". After 45 minutes of searching they found it for me, it looked like the box has been through a war but the amp is perfectly fine. If I could do it all over again I think I would have tried out the PhilJones Breifcase also...

But anyway I hate GC and just wanted to say it. (Damn thier lower prices)