Is this true?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass luvah, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Aguilar DB359 Amplifier

Rated at 200 watts, this all tube integrated amp will go toe-to-toe with any 1000+ watt transistor amp

Is there any truth behind this claim?
  2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    do a search for tube watts vs valve watts vs solid state watts

we already debated this to death.
  3. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I don't have one, but . . .

"toe to toe" is a marketing standard, not an engineering one. It's boastful while being completely unprovable in any "truth" sense, so it makes good advertising copy.

200 tube watts will sound louder than 200 ss watts due to the tuberific midrange hump and usable (distorted/warm) headroom.

There are more powerful tube amps out there, like the biggies from Mesa and Ampeg. Does this mean that a Mesa 400 will go "toe to toe" with any 2000+ ss amp? That's pretty frickin' loud.
  4. Who the hell needs 2k watts!!! :eek: Well, I guess its the same philosophy when it comes to buying beer for a party. "It's better to have bought too many beers than not have bought enough".
  5. billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    Who made this claim? I went to the aguilar web-site, they don't say that! It's silly anyway. Watts is watts. Tube power has a BIG sound because of it's distortion characteristics.
    The DB 359 is loud, as is the Mesa 400+ and both will rock you! But it's not as loud as a 2000 watt transistor amp, assuming the amp isn't clipping.
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It may go toe to toe, but it won't be louder.
  7. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    amp toes are skanky anyways
  8. The DB359 is very loud BUT that's NOT why I have one ! :hyper:
    I love my DB because of the way it FEELS... :D ...alive, organic living, breathing, sweet tone !
    Yea it sounds as loud as a much bigger SS amp because you can run it wide open & it doesn't hurt your ears !
    I like that feature........ :cool: .......A LOT !

9. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I've had several all-tube SVT's. They only make about 285 watts, but one of these will blow any stupid combo amp right out of the water!!! :eek:
  10. Aguilar/Dave B.

Aguilar/Dave B. Aguilar Amplification Commercial User

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    President: Aguilar Amplification

Just for the record....we didn't write this nonsense. And no, there is no truth behind this claim. The DB 359 sounds big and musical, and is enough power for many musical situations. Also, tube distortion is inherently musical so it appears that the watts "go further" in the pursuit of a musical tone. But a well-designed 1000 watt solid-state amp will obliterate the DB 359 strictly in terms of volume. I terms of volume.
  11. dancinDaveNY

Sep 27, 2001
    Western NY
    Thanx Dave!

I've been aching for a DB680 and one of these days I'm going to have one. One of these days...<sigh>...
    <smiles> dD
  12. Blue

Blue Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Central NC
    Well you would know, but I suggest that Wattage ratings need to be tempered by a distortion rating as well, e.g., 100 W @ .01% TDH, 200 W @ .04% TDH, 400 W @ .5% TDH, 1000 W @ 15%, etc. The BIG difference, is tube distortion is generally "musical" while SS distortion is not "musical", and Digital distortion is simply aweful noise.
  13. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Well said.

Isn't "toe to toe" a boxing term? Where one of the participants often winds up unconscious and flat on his back?
  14. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    It is a boxing term, but it usually refers to both sides giving as well as they get. i.e. a tie.

So they claim the 200W tube amp is equal to 1,000W SS amp, not better.
  15. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I wouldnt give more than 4 watts solid state for 1 tube.