1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this unusual saddle height? (shim required?)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mouthmw, Oct 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I have my jazz setup nicely, about 2 mm on the 12th fret on E, maybe slightly less with the G string, but I had to really lower the saddle for the G string compared to E, A and D.

It looks like this:
    IMG_2616.JPG

IMG_2617.JPG

Is this unusual setup?
    My other basses (Fender P and Music Man SUB) don't have that big of a difference with the G saddle. SUB was actually shimmed by a local luthier (so I could raise the saddles), P was perfect from the get go.

It's not a huge issue but I am used to having a bit more room for popping the G string when slapping and popping. I don't need a whole lot more room, but a bit more would be nice.

I don't see a bow in my neck for that to cause an issue, perhaps it's the neck pocket?
    What do you guys suggest?
    Leave it alone? Shim the neck a bit?

2. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    No. It's not unusual, or in need of a shim. The G string saddle is usually lowered more than the others due to the radius of the fret board, and the fact that it's a thinner string. If you still have room underneath each saddle for adjustment, you're good to go. I only throw a shim in if the saddles bottom out.

lz4005, DiabolusInMusic and mouthmw like this.
  3. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Yes you're right, that's exactly what I was thinking now. This jazz has 7.25" radius (Flea sig), my P has 9.5" and SUB has 11". Haven't had a vintage radius in quite a while lol.

4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Nothing wrong there. Nothing wrong with adding a shim if you want more string to body clearance for popping though.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    mouthmw likes this.
  5. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I shimmed the neck today with a thin business card at the heel (found a quality one that felt like it wasn't going to compress further), just a slight shim was all that was needed. The saddles and pups are raised a bit and it's IMO a definite improvement and more comfortable to play (the G string has better action too now). :)
    Nothing wrong with shimming now and then, especially when you do your setups and get a bit OCD about it. It's perfect now, just the way I like it.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021