Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this used amp/cab a good deal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoelT, Aug 7, 2000.

1. JoelT

JoelT

Aug 7, 2000
    Hi,

I started playing a few months ago and I'm currently using my old Fender guitar amp. I have an opportunity to buy a used Carvin Pro Bass 500 amp and 2x10 cabinet for $300 (I don't know the details of the cab). The only problem is that the high-end amp in the Pro Bass 500 occasionally cuts out (I've been told this by the person selling it, I won't get a chance to play it until tomorrow).

The seller didn't realize the amp had the problem until he was ready to let me try it out, so he's been trying to figure out what's wrong, but hasn't been able to. He said he was going to try switching cables, but I don't know what else he's tried. He did say that the more he plays through the amp, the less it seems to cut out. He also said someone told him that after electronics equipment goes a while without being used it might need some burn-in time to come back to normal functionality. If this is true, it could explain why it's getting better.

I'm just wondering if this is still a good deal. For now I'd just use it for practicing, so I won't need to worry about it dying on a gig anytime soon, but I don't want to buy something that might be useless in two months. He might come down a little on the price because of the problem (but it seems to be a really good deal already, so I don't know how much he'll lower the price).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Joel

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I wouldn't even consider a Carvin that you already know has problems. Carvin will not ship out the parts you need to anyone to have a repair done. If you need a repair that involves replacement parts, you will have to ship the amp back to Carvin. Carvin recently wanted me to pay shipping both ways and a flat $135 repair fee to fix the effects in one of their PA heads.(I said no way, and now I am using external effects.)

I think if you are considering buying any equipment that you know has problems, you had better allow for repairs in your budget.

3. JoelT

JoelT

Aug 7, 2000
    Thanks, Slater...I hadn't really considered that. I thought if something went wrong I could just take it somewhere local.

I got the setup today to try out. It does cut out a little at first (no sound for a few seconds one time) and gets a little crackly, but then it seems fine if I keep playing. It just seems to have problems for 10 seconds or so when I plug in my bass and start playing. I don't notice anything after that. I don't know if that means anything, though.

It doesn't sound like what I was expecting, but it's the first bass amp I've played through, so what I was expecting doesn't mean much. ;) It sounded a little muddy at first, but I've played with the amp's EQ and my bass tone knob and it sounds a little better. Still sounds a lot different than the guitar amp, but I guess that's good.

Seems quiet too...but how would I know how loud it should be. I don't even get my little Fender guitar amp to 1 on the volume, but I had the Carvin close to a quarter of the way up. Beats me...different styles of amp, I guess. I've read that you shouldn't get the volume past half way, but it seems I could get there fairly easily with some guitars and drums playing.

I think I need to head to some local music stores to see what else is available and see if I prefer the sound of something else. The guy said I could keep it through the weekend, so I should have plenty of time to test it before deciding (and he is willing to negotiate on the price).

Joel