Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this Warwick a good deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, Jun 9, 2005.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Streamer Standard for $499 USD at BassNW

It seems like good deals on things I don't need always come around when I am trying to fund something I *do* need.

I always thought of Warwicks as high-end but this one appears to be a low-end Warwick. Got great reviews on Harmony Central though and seems to be a good price, especially from a dealer. Thoughts?

2. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    It's farily decent. They can go cheaper on the 'bay or around though. The Streamer is the cheapest of the Warwicks and though I've never tried one, they don't seem to compare much to the Corvettes or Thumb B.O.'s

3. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Thumbs sound great but I hate the way they look. Corvettes look and sound good (the cars too...hah)

4. basslag13

basslag13

Apr 16, 2005
    uhhh are you sure you got your facts right???

Depending on what Streamer you get, they can easily reach into the high 2k to 3k. Corvettes are the entry level GERMAN warwicks. I also recommend you trying one instead of listening to opinions from people who don't own one yet alone have played one. :rollno:

5. Mr.Typhus

Mr.Typhus

Sep 14, 2004
    Finland
    i have Streamer standard 5-string and it is really a good bass!... Sad that Warwick doesn't make those anymore :/ ...I tested some Corvette STD's and i didn't like the necks of those, so i bought the Streamer.(streamer had more flatter neck than the corvette) Only thing about STD Streamers are that the pickups have very low output :/ ... but i personally like the sound of the pickups! :) very clear, nice middles and punchy bottom :)

http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=37571
    here is a link to my band's recordings, i have recorded them all with my streamer! :) you can hear the bass best on the song "are there roses on my grave"

6. Those are the Streamer Stage 1/Stage 2 models and NOT the Streamer Standards which are the subject of this thread.

I've been using a Streamer Standard 4 String since 2001 and, apart from the low output issue mentioned above, I have found it to be faultless with a gorgeous tone from the passive MECs.

Until they went out of production in 2000, these were the "entry" models in the Warwick range.

7. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Streamer STD? Sounds nasty, man.....
    :p

8. Mr.Typhus

Mr.Typhus

Sep 14, 2004
    Finland
    so it says on the headstock :p

9. Three thumbs up on the Frostburn material :D

I'd say that that's a good deal. You will find mirrored prices on the 'bay.

Yes, it is NOT a Stage 1 or 2, it's a Standard, three WAY different basses... Check Warwick's website for more information... www.warwickbass.com

Good luck on getting a 'wick man, I want one so bad, but the pockets are empty!
    ~Ryan

10. Yeah - keep taking the tablets. :D :D

11. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    The deal appears average.

It was the entry level Warwick back in the day. It has decent woods (carolena/ovankol?) and has the Warwick tone, but for a hundred or more, you can get a Corvette. I played a few Streamers, but I prefered the feel of the Corvette.

12. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I'm not buying it, folks. Just a heads-up for anyone who wants it.

13. Mr.Typhus

Mr.Typhus

Sep 14, 2004
    Finland
    yup, streamer standards have Caronela body, ovangol neck ja wenge fretboard with bell brass(?) frets :)

14. I also think the Corvette is a better Warwick that the old Streamer Standards... Just gotta love the look and feel of a vette in your hands, nothing like it man, nothing...

dreaming of a bubinga, ovangkol, and wenge christmas...
    ~Ryan

15. Chiba

Chiba

Mar 11, 2005
    Had one just like that - got it (sans case) used at Guitar Center for $400, and that was before I knew anybody there to 'hook me up'. So given that, I'd say $500 isn't bad, but if I were looking to buy it, I'd probably try to whittle the price down a tad.

--chiba

16. One man's meat.........etc etc. ;) ;)