Is this Warwick German? No Made in Germany stamp..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lilcoffeebeen, Dec 3, 2021.

1. lilcoffeebeen

lilcoffeebeen

May 27, 2019
    Atlanta Ga
    Hello TB. I am being offered a Warwick Corvette for trade for my Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass & I’m def entertaining the trade since I have always thought Warwick’s are so sexy & have been curious about them. This particular Warwick is being presented as a 1996. I have searched pre-existing forums & emailed Warwick also. I’m just wanting to cross my Ts and ask TB. Is this German? Serial looks like it says J032446-96

Attached Files:

DJ Bebop, Ggaa and teh-slb like this.
  2. lilcoffeebeen

lilcoffeebeen

May 27, 2019
    Atlanta Ga
    There’s no Made in Germany stamp on the back of the neck which was my main concern. Forgot to include that info lol

DJ Bebop and teh-slb like this.
  3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    That looks like a wenge neck to me, in which case I'd say yes. But I'm not an expert on this :) .

Curious what others have to say.

PS. If that's active, wenge and bubinga - it will sound awesome, and weigh a ton. I owned and gigged one for a couple of years.

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Just saw the 1996 thing after posting.

I'm fairly certain they were all German back then. They only started making them elsewhere a few years later with a Streamer than had very little resemblance to the German Warwicks.

5. lilcoffeebeen

lilcoffeebeen

May 27, 2019
    Atlanta Ga
    But the lack of Made in Germany stamp on the back of the headstock is seriously throwing me off heh

Joe Nerve likes this.
  6. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    It looks to be the passive version and yes, it looks to be German.

I have a later fretless one with an ovangkol neck that’s really a great bass. being a Fender fan, I actually like it more than I expected to.

Corvettes, even German ones, seem to be undervalued in the used market, which means it’s not hard to find a good deal on one. Unfortunately, it also may mean that, regardless of the very high quality of those basses, it may have a much lower street value than your Fender.

Tbone76 and dbsfgyd1 like this.
  7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I have a Fortress from around the same year, with the same neck. If I can find it (and that's not a joke) I'll let you know what it looks like/says.

DJ Bebop and Geri O like this.
  8. lilcoffeebeen

lilcoffeebeen

May 27, 2019
    Atlanta Ga
    Yea I was thinking (give or take) 1200 bucks maybe a tad more. Same range as I assume my fender to be. But I’m running on rushed research

9. lilcoffeebeen

lilcoffeebeen

May 27, 2019
    Atlanta Ga
    Sweet!

10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Looks good to me.

RE the price... I haven't been in the market for a Warwick in a long time, but $1200 for a passive German Corvette seems WAY too high to me. Last time I checked they were going for around $700, with deal popping up even lower. The new price in the late 90s was only around $900.

Fortress headstock.jpg

Tbone76, DJ Bebop, tbz and 2 others like this.
  11. lilcoffeebeen

lilcoffeebeen

May 27, 2019
    Atlanta Ga
    Woooooof good to know. Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I’ll hold off. My fender is gorgeous and I’d never let it go for 700-900 bucks. Heh.

DJ Bebop, Reedt2000 and Joe Nerve like this.
  12. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    That is 100% a German Warwick. Fantastic era for Warwicks. It's not the same value as a USA Fender Deluxe though. Although it might be a better bass.

Tbone76, Joe Nerve, Helix and 11 others like this.
  13. It's German for sure but agreed that $1200 is way too high.

Joe Nerve, Helix, DJ Bebop and 2 others like this.
  14. beatdatthang

beatdatthang Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Arkansas
    Not all German made Warwicks have it. I used to own a 2008 Streamer LX jazzman that didn’t have a made in Germany stamp above the serial number. There was absolutely zero doubt it was a made in Germany bass seeing as how they never did make a Jazzman not made in Germany.

You can always just run the serial number in the website.

en/Warwick---Support.html

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    DJ Bebop likes this.
  15. lilcoffeebeen

lilcoffeebeen

May 27, 2019
    Atlanta Ga
    Thanks y’all yeah my fender is nice as hell. This was def a wake up call because an hour ago I was ready to do that trade for sure. Lol

truand85 likes this.
  16. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    I sold a Corvette for around $800 several years ago. I know inflation is pushing everything up in price but $1,200 is a bit much. It’s a nice bass, but this isn’t a Thumb or Streamer or one of the more novel models.

17. moon-bass

moon-bass They call me El Jefe Supporting Member

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    Yeah, my feedback is pretty much the same as others - my 93 and 95 Thumbs are definitely German and neither has "made in Germany" anywhere on the bass. This Corvette looks like a very nice bass, they are undervalued, but also definitely over the going price.

Tbone76 and tylercmills like this.
  18. rowsi

rowsi

Jan 31, 2018
    Germany
    The tuners on the bass indicate this bass to be from the very early 90's or even 80's. The term "West-Germany" was used when Germany was still divided into western and eastern parts. After reunification in 1990, the term "West-Germany" pretty much vanished as a declaration of origin. Thus, the Bass was most likely done in the old Warwick plant in Bavaria before reunification or shortly after.

Edit: On a second thought: It is perfectly possible that the woodwork on the bass was done in 1996, but the tuners were old stock or still done to old specifications. Wouldn't be too far fetched, as some manufacturers of goods didn't bother to change their stamps etc. for some years.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    Tbone76, Ggaa, CaribooBass and 2 others like this.
  19. stigbeve

stigbeve

Sep 24, 2014
    Looks legit to me.

Used to have a 2008 Corvette 6. It didn't have Made In Germany stamped on it anywhere but it was made there.
    Sold it to the one person that replied to the Craigslist ad. Got $1200 for it.

20. stigbeve

stigbeve

Sep 24, 2014
    Website only supports 2000 or newer

tylercmills likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2022