Is this Warwick German? No Made in Germany stamp..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lilcoffeebeen, Dec 3, 2021.

1. stigbeve likes this.
  2. CaribooBass

CaribooBass

Nov 30, 2017
    Cariboo
    Your not going to like this; keep your Fender and pay cash for the Warwick. As all ready mentioned in this thread before the Warwick is a better bass.
    I have an 06 thumb bass and it is the same as the Jack Bruce model except it is not fretless. In my research the year 2006 was the last year all basses where made in Germany, and mine does not have a where it was made sticker either.
    In my experience the World has the point of view that there are bass players and their are those who are Fender Bass players.

Being Canadian I never understood that and I did not in anyway agree. Until I went to Europe and Israel. The Warwick will open your ears to this.

Tanner5382 and tylercmills like this.
  3. lilcoffeebeen

lilcoffeebeen

May 27, 2019
    Atlanta Ga
    I’m considering making him a cash offer I can see he’s had the Warwick on Craigslist for 1200 bucks after this thread and a little more assorted research, I’d have to get it for 900. I’ll let a couple days pass and I’ll offer him 900. Hehe. All I’ve ever played were Fender basses aside a nice SR I had once.

4. ficelles

ficelles Inactive

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Having owned a bunch of Corvettes including a late 90s fretless 4 and my current '08 fretless 5, I'd say that's both genuine and German made. I don't think any of mine had Made in Germany stamped anywhere, but they all were. Can't comment on the price but pre-2000 ones seem to be getting higher prices in the UK these days.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
  5. MIG for sure. the serial number thing is only for 2k and up? I didn't know that... interesting.

Regardless, great instrument if you can handle the weight.

6. You can go to the Famus web site to have it verified. Mine is a 2006 and location of manufacturing verified. On mine the serial number is stamped on the back of the head stock and would be clear as a bell on a picture such as yours.

Just a couple of things, this does not have the concentric tone knob as does mine. The controls on mine are VBT, and the tone one works in active mode and it is a boost-cut type. It is possible that going back 25 years who knows what they were doing with this model.

The other thing thing to consider, is this may have a OEM replacement neck. That would not have a serial number assigned and imprinted. My best suggestion is if you can’t verify via a sales receipt or other documentation what you are considering is what you are considering I would be very hesitant to trade regardless.

On a different note from a current Warwick owner/player, keep this in mind this is a different bass, sound wise, playability wise, weight wise. Do not expect it to be much like a Fender bass.

7. ficelles

ficelles Inactive

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    There is a serial number stamped on the back of the headstock you can see in one photo, not easy to make out but the OP has deciphered it - it looks like the original Warwick neck to me.

Fairly sure the tone control in the passive 90s Corvette I used to own was a simple treble cut.

dbsfgyd1 likes this.
  8. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I also have an early 90s Warwick Fortress and the back of the headstock looks exactly like this.

No "Made in Germany" - I guess because they were all made in Germany during this time. But a very faint serial number.

Joe Nerve and tylercmills like this.
  9. FishDub

FishDub Stuck in the 80s and happy about it Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    These are solid sleeper basses..not for 1200 though. I bought the bubinga/wenge active version similar to that one for 700 couple yrs ago..in great cond..

tylercmills likes this.
  10. kho

kho Gold Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2006
    Maryland
    Nice bass! Those wenge necks are awesome. It looks real to me. I have four Warwick basses dated from 2004 (Streamer LX Jazzman), 2006 (Corvette and Streamer Stage 1), and 2007 (Corvette 6 string), and none say Germany anywhere other than on the tuning keys. Three of them I ordered from their custom shop, so they are definitely original necks. By then the necks were Ovangkol with Wenge fretboard, and the serial # stamps are hard to read on the ovangkol necks too.

tylercmills likes this.
  11. I have three German Warwicks, all come up that way in their serial number search, and I also don't see where it says made in Germany on them other than on the tuning keys.

Your tuning keys also say 'West Germany' so those keys at least must be pre 1990 right? No West Germany after that. Granted they could have had a pile of them that lasted 6 years.

I have a 2003 one of these which I got recently for 900ish. I thought that was a good deal, it was in absolutely perfect condition.

CaribooBass likes this.
  12. Tanner5382

Tanner5382 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    I went on Craigslist to look. That bass is located just a little bit north of me. I can't be sure it's the same guy, but I have noticed a handful of other nice quality instruments for sale in Ball Ground before on there, also listed higher than they should be. So it likely is the same guy, lol. That's a nice bass for sure though. If you're interested, definitely do make an offer. I had a German passive corvette before, a red stained one. Very nice and I thought the MEC pickups sounded good, I can just never bond with with a jazz bass or any JJ configuration bass so I moved on. High quality though.

tylercmills likes this.
  13. lilcoffeebeen

lilcoffeebeen

May 27, 2019
    Atlanta Ga
    Heard that; my usual config is PJ but I currently play a jazz bass. He emailed me this morning about the trade (my fender is listed) and for awhile I was tempted but it’s worn off now I’m kicking tires on PJs.

Tanner5382 likes this.
  14. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    I've been fortunate enough to have owned three German Warwicks. None of them had any stamps or symbols on the back of the headstock that said they were made in Germany. All of them came with certificates that said they were German made - - and two of the basses were signed by Hans Peter Wilfer on the back of the headstock.

This bass in question looks legitimate to me. Enjoy it and play the hell out of it - it'll sound fantastic.

15. Tanner5382

Tanner5382 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    I feel you. Stick with what you know you like! If yours is the black one listed, that's a nice bass. That should sell soon or have somebody with a PJ interested soon.

tylercmills likes this.
  16. lilcoffeebeen

lilcoffeebeen

May 27, 2019
    Atlanta Ga
    Thanks dude yep that’s it

Tanner5382 likes this.
  17. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    California
    I think I sold my early 00s German Corvette Standard for under $700 a while back.

Not sure why or how but I chewed mine up pretty bad in the first 3-4 years I owned it. Only bass I’ve ever done that to.

There were string indents at the end of the freatboard. String indents on the pickups. Visible indents above the pickups where I anchored my thumb. Really odd as none of the other basses I’ve owned have shown anywhere near that amount of wear.

18. burgerdj

burgerdj

Dec 4, 2006
    Maryland
    Yep, German. That is a great build era, too. It’ll weigh a ton, but pay you back with tone for days.

IamGroot likes this.
  19. Jefus

Jefus Does this amp make my bass sound fat? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Sacramento
    I've got two German Warwick Thumb BOs, a fretted 5 from 1998 (which I bought new in 2001 after Warwick installed a piezo bridge on it), and a fretless 5 from 1999. Both have "West Germany" tuners on them :)

20. SC Bassboy

SC Bassboy Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    100% German made Warwick. If it has a wenge neck its German. They seem to have used the "Made in West Germany" tuners until they changed vendors. I've got two 97 Corvettes that have the West Germany tuners. The tuners from the 2000's are cheaper and prone to having the peg snap off.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022