Is this Warwick German? No Made in Germany stamp..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lilcoffeebeen, Dec 3, 2021.

1. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Its the "Corvette Standard" since it has that bubbinga body, and its passive. I'm not fond of these because being passive, that bubbinga sounds so dark.
    I would much rather have the active model; I've had two of those (bubbingas) before. Still dark.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  2. SC Bassboy

SC Bassboy Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I have emailed them about 90's Warwicks several times. Each time Hans Peter Wilfer emailed me back personally. We ended up chatting back and forth for a while. He is very friendly and happy to help.
    I suspect they lost all the records before 2000 or so. Every bass I've verified he asks for pictures of the bass and inside the control cavity. He then just tells you what woods and electronics he sees. I figured that out because one of my Vettes has gold hardware which is not stock for the model so I wanted to see if it was custom ordered or someone went to the trouble of swapping out all the hardware. The best Hans could do was tell me someone may have ordered it that way, so no records to look back on.

3. Serial number search at that link says it is only for post 2000 instruments. This has West German tuners, indicating it is probably older.

4. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Mine was 1999.

5. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    That is pretty much the deal.
    But everytime I brought a Warwick to the recording studio, they handed me a Fender Precision.

burgerdj, tbz and tylercmills like this.
  6. lilcoffeebeen

lilcoffeebeen

May 27, 2019
    Atlanta Ga
    That’s an enlightening statement tbh

7. Mikey F

Mikey F

Aug 12, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I love those older corvettes. Such cool basses!

8. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Afender P with flats hides very well in the mix as a supporting role. A Warwich Thumb is for when you want to stand up and be heard. I bring both to jazz gigs.

9. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    Somewhere in time
    Looks like a legit late 90's German Warwick to me (Wenge/Wenge neck instead of ovangkol, silver MEC pickups, bronze just-a-nut). In my experience, excellent basses with an absurdly well defined and cutting tone, superb playability, and enormous weight :-D You'll need to wax it periodically as the finish is not permanent/hard.

Have you tried emailing Warwick support with the serial number?

10. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    Somewhere in time
    The soft wax finish really ages quickly where you put your fingers. If you're a slapper, you're bound to leave fingernail impressions on the body around the end of the neck (I did on both my warwicks). And the body where I rested my thumb usually got discolored if I forgot to wax them periodically (it was also the times when I had time to play bass more than anything... I doubt that would happen if I got a new one today :'( )

11. ficelles

ficelles Inactive

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Right by that is a guide for pre-2000 instruments. Don't bother trying to use it on iOS btw as it doesn't scroll properly.

scott sinner likes this.
  12. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    California
    Yeah I mean. It’s the only bass I’ve owned in 25ish years of playing that’s been damaged that badly.

13. FRoss6788

FRoss6788 Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    I don't believe the Warwicks made outside of Germany had wenge or ovangkol necks. I loooooove the wenge necks.

14. burgerdj

burgerdj

Dec 4, 2006
    Maryland
    Yep. The benefit of this one is that it’s passive, so you just might get it past the engineer!

15. I got my MIG Corvette 5 string from GC about 4 years ago for under $600 that came with a brand new soft side case. It needed a slight bit of work, but IMO it’s a great bass and quite a bargain at that.

What is interesting, a year ago I went back to the same GC to get an idea of what it was worth and they offered me $375 for it. Needless to say, I still own the bass.

A “sleeper bass “ is a good term for them.

16. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    Somewhere in time
    I traded my last Warwick, a beautiful 1998 Thumb Bolt-On (all-wenge neck and walnut body) for a MIJ Jazz Bass. The Warwick was the best built bass I've ever owned since, it was absolutely gorgeous to look at, and quite a joy to play sitting down (standing up I had neck dive issues, and my arms aren't long enough to not mind). The fender is ugly (one of those that have the full white pg like a strat instead of pg + metal control plate), heavy, uncomfortable at times (that damn body is too big), but when you plugged them in, the Warwick could not touch that JBass. And 20 years after that trade, I still don't regret it. That bass is my "bury me with it unless I happen to have a child that wants to play bass" #1 forever bass.

17. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Looks a lot like my old 1997 Warwick Corvette 4-string, which I bought in 2004 for $600. It was a wonderful bass but I ultimately sold it due to the weight. I couldn't play full nights with it, which was a bummer because it was one of the nicest sounding basses I've ever owned. @mikeswals is definitely right about them being dark, but it's an interesting kind of dark that never got muddy for me.

Tanner5382 and FRoss6788 like this.
  18. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    The Warwicks usually have a push/pull to bypass the preamp and tone controls. Not quite a Fender sound, but .......

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    FRoss6788 likes this.
  19. ShadowGroover

ShadowGroover

Aug 16, 2020
    The wenge neck and bubinga body Warwicks are the holy grail of their production.

For the neck it's not just the tonewood. It's the thinner neck profile that makes it easier to play.

I would easily pay $1200 for that that wood combination. The later Ovangkol fat neck Warwicks are the ones worth only half the price.

tylercmills and Jefus like this.
  20. Dinis Neves

Dinis Neves

Sep 8, 2021
    Portugal
    Link below to verify the serial number of the bass from Warwick site:
    en/Warwick---Support--Serial-Number.html

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 20, 2022