Is this Warwick Thumb real?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thistlel, Aug 5, 2022.

1. Thistlel

Thistlel

May 4, 2022
    Saw a guy post this on the local classifieds. Says it's a 2008 Warwick Thumb BO Broad Neck. Listed for about 2000$. Personally I've never seen a 5 string Thumb with humbuckers so I'm a little suspicious. The lack of a (visible) serial number also irks me a bit. I'm not big into custom shop stuff, so maybe this is just me being paranoid, but I'd still like a second opinion from the TB Warwick fans.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gizmot and BrentSimons like this.
  2. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    The broad necks all have humbuckers. Looks legit to me

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That’s real and I bet that price is real too!:D

4. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    It looks identical to my old one!

5. Looks as real as any broad neck I’ve ever seen. As mentioned, they don’t have the slim J looking pickups. Gorgeous looking thing.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  6. The reason the Broadneck has Humbuckers is that the standard J pickups on the standard Thumb5 are basically too narrow to envelope the 20mm string spacing.

And that is one glorious looking Thumb!!! I’d buy it…

there were a few cool videos available to view the broadneck, but many have disappeared.
    This one has the best view

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    mikezimmerman and Alan Scharrer like this.
  7. bass12

bass12 Have You Met Grace Jones?

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    And your back pain from that thing will be real too! :p

8. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    No joke. My old one was 13 lbs!

Katoosie and bass12 like this.
  9. I had a broadneck Thumb BO 5 string years ago. I generally like a wide spacing and don't mind a fatter neck but damn, that thing was hand-cramp city. It really lacked the more focused tone of my old 4 string BO Thumb which had singlecoils too.

Beware that the problem I found with these was not necessarily the width of the neck or the string spacing but the depth, front to back, around the first five frets. Your hand will really be working around that area and you'll feel it. I've had a few nice Warwicks and played many Thumbs.oget the years; my old BN 5 string is not one I want back.

Plucky The Bassist likes this.
  10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    :eek::eek::eek:

TFunkadelic and Katoosie like this.
  11. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Mascoutah, IL
    Although Corvettes are not as "nice" as a Thumb, but they are a good bit lighter.

Katoosie likes this.
  12. bass12

bass12 Have You Met Grace Jones?

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Some of them no doubt are, but the couple of Corvettes I tried in the early 2000s were boat anchors. I think a lot of it has to do with the wood being used (I'm pretty sure the Corvettes I tried had bubinga bodies and bubinga tends to be quite heavy).

13. Counterfeit Warwicks never have ovangkol or wenge necks as far as I'm aware. Every one I've seen has had a maple neck of some sort.

George Dennis likes this.
  14. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Mascoutah, IL
    My Corvette 5 string is a 2006. It's not the 13lbs monster another poster said about his Thumb. The body is made from Babinga, which is as I understand it, the second most dense wood on the planet. Being a 5 string, the weight of the neck isn't helping much. I'm pretty sure it's around 10lbs or a little better.

That said, I'm 70 and have used it for hours on end with no issues with my ususal disclaimner, for now. It's a great sounding bass.

Gizmot, bigjames and bass12 like this.
  15. bigjames

bigjames Player of Smooth Lines

That looks legit to me and honestly awesome. My complaint with my Corvette (weight aside) is the narrow string spacing...broadneck thumb is on my wishlist.

16. bigjames

bigjames Player of Smooth Lines

My corvette is a 2003 bubinga body / wenge neck and it feels very heavy, but that Warwick mid-growl is something else.

dbsfgyd1 likes this.
  17. Found some of the videos I was looking for…

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    George Dennis and SteveBassJr like this.
  18. SteveBassJr

SteveBassJr It all sounds the same, It's all one song!

Aug 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I am friends with Jose. He is a monster player!

eastcoasteddie likes this.
  19. Looks legit to me. The broad neck 5 and 6 string thumbs all use the soapbar pickups. The broad neck is basically a 6 string neck but with 5 strings and a wider string spacing. I’d want a better picture of the back of the headstock to be more positive before buying. But looks legit to me.