Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is This What An Ibanez Really Is???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickbass, Sep 30, 2002.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Not to sound snotty - but I have never had much respect for Ibanez basses, based on my few experiences with them. But, hell, if the sound of one makes you happy, that's all that's needed!!! (With someone like Gary Willis's modded Ibanez's, I guess they might sound fine).

But, I ran across a Korean factory who makes basses with whatever logo the contractor wants to put on it and wondered if this cheap contractor is actually where Ibanez's come from???

In the top picture, you see an Ibanez bass.

In the picture below it, you see a bass by a Korean contractor.... -

[​IMG]

Now, the cheap Korean contract bass by Yukhwa of Korea -

[​IMG]

What got me thinking is - you can change the controls and the fretboard wood, but the body-shaping jigs, hardware, and finish components stay pretty much the same.

2. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    Actually only the high end Ibanez products are made in Japan. Most of the stuff is made in Korea, so those 2 basses were probably made at the same factory.

3. Those bodies look very similar, but they are not exactly the same.. Im pretty sure that the lower horn in the Yukhwa bass is different to Ibanez'.

4. rickbass

luis - That's why I'm trying to be careful not to offend Ibanez owners like yourself. I could be wrong.

But, the similarities of the jig set-ups seem so similar to me, among other aspects.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    What jpwinters said.

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    A lot of 'offshore' factories will build for anyone who wants to commision them.

BTW which of those two pictured basses will have a higher residual value?

7. rickbass

Very good rhetorical question with an obvious answer, Chris! :D

8. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    I didn't mean anything bad with what I said. Some of the Korean basses are very good. My BTB 406 is an awesome bass, It has good craftsmanship.

It all depends on what quality standards the parent company sets.

Ibanez says they want this level of quality at this price, where as another company may want a little less quality so they can sell at a lower price.

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Once again, I agree. My Korean Dean Edge 5 fretless is an exceptional instrument.

10. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Cort makes terrific basses/guitars and they're Korean.

11. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Perhaps the Korean manufacturer holds the Ibanez line in high esteem and wishes to piggyback on their success?

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    ALOT of Companies do this & they probably come out of a handfull of factories. Fender, Samick, Ibanez, Washburn, etc.

13. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    With the exception of the two ripoff basses I had early on, Ibanez offers some super basses in its signature line. The Verdine White Signature I had couldn't have been made any better. It was flawless. As for the Gary Willis fretless I just bought, what would they have to do, in keeping with the design of this bass, to make it better? It too is flawlessly made and assembled, and sounds wonderful. What's more, the wood grain and the finish rivals even the most exotic boutique basses. So, although this ground has been covered many times, Ibanez can produce a decent bass.

Also the practice of farming out part of the manufacturing process to lower labor costs appears universal. Is not my Lakland's neck made in CA?

14. rickbass

I don't doubt it in their higher price range basses, Rick.

Kind of hijacking my own thread - I'd love to try out a Japanese Sadowsky ("Sadowsky Tokyo") and see how they stack up for the price -

[​IMG]

15. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Me too!!

16. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    The pegheads look opposite of each bass in positioning, thats about it for real hardware.

Look the same body-wise to me.

17. Devnor

Devnor

Nov 13, 2001
    Dallas TX
    Isnt the Lakland Skyline made at the Cort plant?

A friend has a BTB Ibanez 5 string, the ones with dual pups and mono-rail bridge. Its plays just as nice as my EB/MM Stingray 5. Sounds excellent too.

18. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I don't know about the Lakland Skylines. I'm VERY willing to bet that they are made by wither Cort or Samick, though. All foreign-made Epiphones are made by Samick. Samick makes nearly all Squires, as well. I can't remember which of the two is making the PRS Santana bot-on (CRAP) guitars.
    Samick is THE largest guitar maker in the world. It's funny how Gibson tried to buy them in order to shut down Squire, but at the same time, Samick could have easily bought-out Gibson. Oh well. :rolleyes:

19. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The one I tried was VERY nice.:eek:

20. rickbass

Did you see a price tag, Nino???

For all I know about the yen exchange rate and import costs/tariffs, they might cost as much or more than U.S. Sads.

Or - were you in Japan???