Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this what I need...Speakon?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steven Green, Dec 22, 2002.

1. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Hi folks, I received a cabinet that has Speakon connectors on it. I have banana connectors on my amp. So I went to GC and a couple of other stores to get a cable to work with banana on one end, and Speakon at the other end. They didn't have any, so I bought a Speakon tip...and a banana-to-1/4" cable. I figured I would cut the 1/4" off and use the Speakon tip instead. Sounds okay...but now that look at the connector i bought, it looks like it might be an adaptor from 1/4" to Speakon? Or do Speakon tips all have a 1/4" jack on the back of them. I'm having a hard time explaining this...so here's a pic.

[​IMG]

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Yep, that's an adaptor.

3. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Steven,
    That is a "Speakon to 1/4 adapter". It will work with your bannana/1/4 male cable but you lose the advantage of the Speakon connector (better physical connection). In actuallity you add another connector so it would even be worse than just the standard 1/4 connector to the speaker. I'd go back to GC and exchange the "Speakon to 1/4 adapter" for a standard Speakon connector.

4. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Grrr, that just what I found out at Neutrik dot com. Man, those folks at GC never cease to prove they don't know what they are talking about. "yeah, you can make you own cable with this...".:rolleyes: :mad:

5. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Yea you got it. Just plug the Speakon plug into your cab and plug your quarter inch into it. Bingo bango your in bid'ness:D

6. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    And yes it is easy to convert your cable to speakon so you don't lose the advantage of your better speakon connection and lock. NO soldering or anything. I also recomend getting a speakon connected to your cable directly and eliminating the quarter inch.

7. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I went all over the place today to find that stuff and now I have to drive all the way back out there AGAIN! This reminds me of why I don't like buying from GC...

Thanks guys.

8. Why don't you just open up the adapter, get rid of the 1/4" female connector and hook up your cable with the 1/4" male cut off? I'd say it's cheaper than driving back to GC to get the same.

9. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    How easy is it to remove the 1/4" jack? I don't have it with me to look at...I'm at work.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Interesting idea, but he'd probably lose the convenience of the solderless set-screw connections available in the standard (non-adaptor) Speakon connector. Then again, maybe not... I have never opened one of those adaptors.

11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I opened one of those 1/4" adapters once. There is no way to convert it to use as a "regular" speakon. You should return it and get what you need.

12. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    return it

get one banana plug
    one speakon plug
    and the heaviest raw power cord you can find

no soldering required

13. I just purchased four Speakon's for my 12 gauge Monster cable and there are four terminals inside them; two for negative, two for positive. Do I split each lead and stick half into each or am I OK with just running into one neg. and one pos. terminal?
    Thanks...

14. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Check out this thread.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63482&highlight=speakon

15. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Alright, I bought 1 Speakon connector and have a 12-gauge cable with a banana plug at the other end. I am going to run from my Stewart's banana jacks to my cabinet, which has a Speakon. Do I just put the wires in +1/-1? Or do I need +1/+2, since I'm using my amp bridged? I really have no idea!:confused:

16. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    on the cab end, it'd be +1 -1

17. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Is it always +1 -1 on the cab end?

18. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    as far as i've seen yes

- unless it's a biamped/stereo cab of course

but you can always pop the jack panel off the cab and find out ;)

19. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    It's just a plain ol' Epifani T-410, so it should be fine. Thanks Jason! Now, I just have to wait 8 hours to try it out! Damn work!:mad: ;)

20. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Make sure your 1+ speakon and your hot (+) banana are the same wire!