Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is This Where We're Going???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rickbass, Dec 29, 2003.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Wonder what you all think about the new Bose bass amplification gear ?

I'm thinking about taking them up on their offer --- 90 days to try it out and if you don't like it better than your present rig, they'll even pay the shipping for returning it to them.

The speaker (cylindrical radiator) -

[​IMG]

The Bass Module -

[​IMG]

More info - www.bose.com/bassplayer

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Did you notice that the "high output" bass package (I couldnt see any figures on power output) consists of 6 of hte bass modules + the main speaker - total cost would be almost $4000US - not exactly a cheap alternative to a couple of 210XLTs a good pre and a QSC poweramp!

[​IMG]

It also wouldnt be very practical - I guess they do advocate the "old way" for certain musicians! :)

3. rickbass

Mark - You touched on one of the aspects that has me raising my eyebrows - Could it out-thump my SansAmp + Aguilar + Edens + cold-blooded QSC ??? If so, my back would sure love it.

It might be worth a try. An old friend of mine took the Bose factory tour and told me about some very small speakers in the Bose Guest Auditorium. This guy loves his music loud and clean and he said he heard some little buggers mounted in the auditorium that were just amazing.

4. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    Go for it, definitely. I think they're a bit too cocky about something so relatively unheard of, challenging everything so far, but ya never know.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I just hope the bass doesn't sound as if it is coming from a tiny plastic box, like their home theatre stuff.

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Here is a link to the FAQs on the BOSE site about this product:

BOSE FAQ

It appears that it puts out 3x250W (continuous) power - 1 into the radial speaker and 2 x 250 into each bass module (if connected).

It would probably be okay for URB, but I have my doubts about how well it would stack up next to something like an SVT in a rock gig!

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That "radial speaker" is actually a column of 15 or 16 2-inch speakers. You can see them in there if you get the light just right. There may be some little tweeter horns up near the top. I heard some at GC, and they sounded pretty good, but all the bass is going to have to come from the subs, 'cause you ain't gonna get much bottom outta no two-inch driver.

I wonder why Bose is so reluctant to reveal that their cylindrical radiator is a vertical array of twos. I can hear it now ... "Hey man, whatcha got in that cab?" "Oh, a thousand twos."

8. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Not specifically directed at you Munji, but does it matter whether you have 1x10" or 5x4" drivers? Ie could you get a good bass response from 100x1" drivers if they were properly designed to work together?

The reason I ask is that the Phil Jones gear uses 5" drivers - one would have thought that no good bass response could have come from a 5" - yet people rave about the PJ gear - so is there some scientific reason why an appropriately large array of 2" drivers could not produce a good bass sound?

9. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Ive heard them. I wasnt impressed for what I need in a pa. If your starting from scratch, not going to mic the drums and keep your bass rig, then they are about the same cost as a small pa. They sound great for this kind of set up. For a little louder gig, each player needs to get their own setup. And as for bass, Ill keep my berg 322s. Just my opinion, try them out. Its a good start on a good idea.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The main reason is that a two-inch driver can't get nearly the throw of, say, a ten-inch driver. A bigger driver has a better capability of producing bass notes because the physical size of the speaker is more closely related to the wave-length of the note being produced. Bass notes have longer wavelengths.

Yes, you can get bass notes out of a lot of smaller speakers, but if you built two properly-designed cabs to a specific bass tuning frequency, the larger speakers are going to reproduce the bass notes more efficiently and with better sound.

11. I am not sure to what extent a 10" driver would actually be that much better than a smaller driver for the simple fact that even though it is bigger, compared to the wavelength of low bass it is pretty negligible. A 40Hz note has a wavelength on the order of 30ft. The diameter of a 10" driver is on the same size scale as a 1300Hz sound wavelength. A 5" speaker would be an octave higher.

I suppose that the better bass response may be related to the natural frequency of the system and in which case you would expect a larger driver to be easier to construct having a lower resonant frequency. On the other hand, you could perhaps build the smaller driver to have a lower resonant frequency and at the same time superior dynamic response stemming from having to move a less massive cone. I suppose that this would be Phil Jones' approach, and from all I have heard, it seems to work, although the added magnet weight looks to me to detract a little from it.

Perhaps you could use 100 1" drivers, but I am not sure what the point would be.

Geoff

12. rickbass

Guys...whom I respect mucho, like Munji, Geoff, Mark, and others ---- how about we order these things and see if our bass stabs can blow them apart ????

13. I played on one at length in my local GC. It sounded very nice at low-med volumes. Once I started to crank it the sound quality really suffered. It had some very nice "pre-set" functions for bass on the inputs but all the benefits in sound quality deteriorated with increased volume. Overall, I wasn't too impressed. I spent less on my small PA and it won't be replacing that any time soon. Like most gear it's got "+'s" and "-'s". I would try one out before you drop that kind of dough. It's deffinitely not going to compete with my Acme Low B-4/DPC1400X set-up.

14. Man. I think bose is really good about thinking highly of their products...even if they don't perform well. I suspect that's the case here as well.

And who's gonna be proud of a tube and some 30lb toolbox looking things?

And, w/ using 6 of the bass modules...that'd be 180lbs! That really doesn't help much with load out. I know you're lifting them individually, but I'd rather not have to make 4 trips.

15. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I'm open to hearing these things, but my gut feeling is that they'll probably be best for acoustic ensembles, like acoustic jazz, trad Celtic, folkie singer/songwriters, bluegrass, classical guitar or chamber ensembles, or something of comparable volume.

16. rickbass

Man, I like that observation!

[​IMG]

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That sums up the story of everything Bose. Pay twice as much for equal or often less than equal performance.

brad cook