1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this worth fixing?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fretlessman71, Apr 18, 2010.

1. This is a crack in a beloved neck. The neck feels great and sounds great, but the truss rod has been overtightened in an attempt to straighten it out, and this is the result.

Not only is there the obvious crack in the maple, but the rosewood stripe is also coming out - it gives when I push on it with the truss rod loosened.

The neck does get straight when I tighten the rod enough. I'd like to preserve this neck, and I don't really care what it looks like so long as it feels good and responds to the truss rod when it's tightened.

Loosening the truss rod and removing the strings had no visible effect on the crack in the maple - just the rosewood stripe.

Thoughts from those of you who have dealt with a similar situation would be much appreciated. :)

Attached Files:

2. bass4worship

bass4worship Ready For Freddy, let rock Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    Take it to someone who know how to do it right, I've seen worse....

3. Hi.

^This.

The crack in the pic is nothing that a skilled luthier couldn't fix.

Any DIY repair suggestions are a bit hit and miss when a pic is all that we have to go by.

Regards
    Sam

4. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Fixing the crack is easy but fixing the cause will take a little more effort. It sounds like the neck has excessive natural bow that requires a great deal of force from the truss rod to correct. A good tech can use heat & clamping techniques to reduce the natural bow so the truss rod doesn't have to exert so much force. You could just fix the crack and see how the neck holds up but you'll want to keep a close eye on things to make sure new problems don't develop.