Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is this worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassplayer666, Feb 5, 2006.

1. hey guys im new to the forum. ive been playing bass for a while now and im saving up for thishttp://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=68340
    tell me what you guys think

thanks
    bassplayer666

2. NO! BC riches are seriously pieces of crap unless its their high end stuff, not worth it at all, do yourself a favor and save up another $50 and buy something decent like a new fender or buy a used fender or something. i dont know, JUST NOT A BC RICH

3. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    As people will tell you the search function is your friend. Instead of making another blast BC Rich thread, do a search on them. They are not well thought of around here.

4. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    don't worry... not EVERY1 hates BC Riches. I like my beast. Just a word to the wise... get AT LEAST an NJ series. Anything lower than that ain't vedry good (however it IS palyable)

but do what ever you feel like.

5. im sorry if this annoys anyone further, but how are they crap?

6. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I don't think you have annoyed anyone. BC Rich caters to the beginner market heavy metal. They used to be a high end company but changed their marketing. They still make some higher end stuff, but the are know for the beginner stuff which you could spend a little more money and get something a little more versitile.
    They don't translate well if you play with anyone else but a metal band. A Jazz Bass, you can play them w/ metal, gospel, funk, CW, punk. See where I'm going?

7. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    I don't agree that they aren't versatile. I can play anything I very well want with mine & it still sounds good. Its an NJ Beast, so it has active pick-ups if that matters.

If you're talking about the shape... its just something different. I think it looks "only for metal" b/c people don't want to try different body-styles. Just b/c Fender was the first in the bass guitar market doesn't mean that every other instrument has to look like them.

just my 2 quarters

8. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I was using that as a generic example, I have 6 basses, non of them Fender or Jazz style, unless you count my Warwick Katana because it has 2 j pups.
    I play Guitar also, there was a time I would have killed for a Mocking bird or a Bitch. I'm pretty much a PRS guy now.

9. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    they look like it.

rofl no i don't mean to offend anyone, just my opinion. everyone has different views.

if that's your kinda thing, go ahead and listen to people that have positive reviews on it and don't let our negative reviews impact your decision. what it really comes down to is that YOU like it. it's gonna be your bass, not ours. if you really want to, go out and try one at Guitar Center or something.

i second the Jazz bass. they are extremely versatile.

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    If you dig the way it looks, plays and sounds, then go for it and don't worry what everyone else says.

I find some BC Rich designs to be pretty cool and others to be 'visually challenging'. I also find some of them to be ergonomically challenging as well (hard to play while sitting, pointy bits hitting you in uncomfortable places).

I agree that if you want one, save up the extra bucks to avoid the 'entry level' models...and prepare for if the day comes that you want to sell your instrument you're resale value isn't going to be high (unless you have one of the OLD ones).

11. Holmann

Holmann

Dec 23, 2005
    Ashland, WI
    Regardless of who makes it, if you think is sounds good, looks good, and plays good, then it IS good. Body shape aside, they play about as well as anything else in their price range. Im not a huge fan of the super-pointy ones (Warlock, Beast, etc) but the Mockingbird is one sexy axe.