Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this Worth the $$?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stringer13, Feb 12, 2006.

1. stringer13

stringer13

Jan 7, 2005
    Oklahoma
    Hi,

I have an opportunity to buy a 1992 Warwick Streamer Stage II with bassline soapbar pickups, Aguilar obp3 preamp for 950 bucks. Is this work it? I have checked with warwick and the serial number is legit.
    I know the new Streamer Stage II's go for mega bucks but i do not know about older models that much.
    Thanks for any help,
    John
    jstringer@itlnet.net
    :bassist: :confused:

2. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Yep... at least I'd buy it if it is in good shape.

3. stringer13

stringer13

Jan 7, 2005
    Oklahoma
    Any ideas what this bass sold new as? Also, is this exactly like the new ones being issued?

My whole thought process on this thread: "Why is a bass that sells new from musicians friend.com being sold for $3279 being offered to me for 950 bucks?" There must be a reason or this guy surely wouldnt part for this price? :help:

4. The preamp isn't original, the pickups could be, is it in good shape? I'd go for it, if you like streamer stage II's, the electronics may be bringing the price down but IMHO they are a definite upgrade form the mec's they come with now.

5. stringer13

stringer13

Jan 7, 2005
    Oklahoma
    Its in great shape, comes with hardshell case as well. I have a corvette FNA jazzman 5 rights now, but secretly i always wanted a neckthrough warwick and this is an excellent opportunity to get one i think.

Everyone i talked to has said positive stuff so i think i will take the plunge and buy it.

Honestly could i not re-sell it for more? New, these babies go for around 3200 bucks (musiciansfriend.com) so im thinking that this bass should go for around 1500-1700 on ebay right? (i know i know,,,,its not about the money, its about the sound):rollno:

6. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    The Aguilar is clearly not the original preamp. But I'd say buy it and either keep it or flip it for a few hundred bucks on the 'bay. Win-win, either way.

7. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    That is a good price barring something being seriously wrong like the neck being broken/fixed with spackle. Many 'wicks come with basslines, so the pickups could be original. Then again, they might not be. A lot of people don't like MEC pre's or pickups, I happen to think that they sound good. They don't sound as thick as some other brands but they sound more natural than most to me. That preamp is defintely aftermarket, but it is a decent one. That wouldn't bring down the price any. Actually, it could be argued that it increased rather than decreased the value of the instrument.

8. stringer13

stringer13

Jan 7, 2005
    Oklahoma
    anyone want a corvette jazzman FNA 5? honey violin, lol