Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this wrong?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Coutts_is_god, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    So I'm playing bass and I come up with this bass line. It is in the key of Em and Am. As I'm playing it I realise it sounds like another song. Played by a real band. So I study this song and realise it sound simliar but in a different key. It is played differently but has the same mood as the original song. Am I a bad person for using this bassline now?
    I need to know where to draw the lines when it comes to sounding like someone else. Well with out getting sued :D

2. I've done this before (unintentionnaly) on at least three occasions...it's kind of frustrating because I come up with a cool bassline and simple guitar riff to go with it all on my own that I think are pretty happening and it turns out I'm "ripping off" someone else's work. it sounds very similar but it's not at all the same especialy the bass. you won't get sued as long as it's different but other people will call your credibility as a composer into question if you do deside to use it which is bullcrap. If you wrote it you should be able to use it but be prepared for people saying you ripped it off.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I play in a cover band. I play ripped off bass lines 3 hours a night. It ain't wrong.

4. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Hey,

Maybe it has something to do with being Canadian.

I had a dream, and in this dream I was playing this amazing song. When I woke up, I remembered the lines and chords changes, so quickly I wrote them down. A couple days later I realized that I just ripped of Herbie Hancock's Dolphin Dance.

5. I know of five songs that share the same chord progression, two of which are in the same key!

6. It's not wrong, as long as it's not exactly like the original. As long as you're playing it a little differently or using a different key, it's ok in my book.

Then again, look at how many songs in the '50s use the same chord progression. As an example, the progression of "Oh Donna" is exactly the same as at least three other songs I can think of...

7. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Well back in the days of rock and roll. Didn't they use only like E,G and A?

I don't think anyone would ever put two and two together withh this song. Its not like a AC/DC song or Zepplin or anything. Its just apart of that long road. That road is called 'the finding your own sound street"

9. Am I a bad person for using this bassline now?

Yes. You are a very bad man. Shame be upon your house.

10. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    meh.. there's a limited number of useable chord progressions...

whil they are in different keys, Stairway and Watchtower both have VERY similar progressions... actually the Dylan version of watch tower is in the same key... and the feel isn't sooo far off...

Also I heard of a band from over in Europe... I think they are bpretty big.. have been so since the 60's.. their lead singer is known for a certain part of his anatomy that is somewhat full.. anyway, quite a few of their songs are direct rips from R&B guys in the 50's...

Incidentally, the theme to the Flintstones is the same chord progression and feel as "I got Rhythm"...

hmmm...

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...as is about a 1000 other tunes(e.g. "Oleo").

Early Boppers 'borrowed' the chord changes from existing 'Pop' tunes & made them their own with a new, re-invented head/melody("Indiana" = "Donna Lee").

Later-
    "So What" = "Impressions"

How 'bout The Blues? How many times has a 12-bar Blues in "E" been played with a similar feel only with different lyrics?

...was just re-reading a Paul McCartney interview from an old Guitar Player mag; he sez the bassline from "I Saw Her Standing There" is a direct 'lift'(ripoff) from a guitar line used in a Chuck Berry tune. Mac sez it was obscure enuff a tune that their fan base wouldn't have recognized it. That's how you steal!
    ;)

12. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    George Harrison is laughing at you from the grave as we speak :D

13. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada

I will now only rip off abscure songs. ;)

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    He's so fine?
    ;)

How 'bout John Fogerty's ex-Record Co. suing him on account his then-new stuff sounded too much like his old stuff?!

15. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    It's happened to me at least twice, both times with songs I'd never even heard of until my brother or my guitarist played me them. Neither were exactly the same but we scrapped them to be on the safe side.