1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is "Tiran Porter" "Skylark"?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Skel, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I was just casually listening to "Listen to the Music" - Doobie Bros, and zero'ed in on the bass line for the first time ever. It's quite good, very rhymic, and adds so much to the song, IMHO. I can't figure out who played on it. I found a site that says "Skylark" played bass, but I can't tell if this is maybe Tiran Porter's nickname?

2. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    No, they are different bassists. Both kick mucho asso.

3. +1 and +1

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Another +1

5. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Am I correct though about "Skylark" playing on the recording of "Listen to the Music"? Thanks.

6. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Tiran Porter did bass on all but one song from Toulouse Street, which has that song on it and came out in 1972-- the title track has the original bassist, a guy named Dave Shogren. They only hired Skylark IIRC in the late 80s or early 90s.

7. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Thanks, one more question, then please quit bugging me :D

Did Tiran Porter use a pick? It sounds like it but I don't know.

8. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    yeah, he did. He doesn't these days, though. He also ususally used Gibsons back then, too.

9. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Always sounded like a pick and flatwounds to me. I was just learning that song a few weeks ago for the band I'm trying to get off the ground. Good stuff from him, also really like Long Train Runnin'.

10. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Taking it to the Streets and China Grove rock as well.

11. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    He's got cool tone for pop music and he does great rhythmic stuff I wouldn't expect from a picker.

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    The Doobies always had smokin' bassist, Willie Weeks also did time in the band. Skylark sure brings the funk to the band these days!:bassist: