Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is Tool making a new Album?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Figjam, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Are they? Or are they done?

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I thought they sort of took turns with APC? I would hope they would be eventually.

3. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    No. APC (Maynard) and Pigmy Love Circus (Danny) are both on tour (together), and APC will probably do a world tour. I suspect there won't be a new Tool album until 2005 at the soonest. :( I also suspect that when it comes out it will blow my mind, so I encourage them to take their time. In the meantime, they shot the last 6 concerts of the 2002 fall tour, and will put out the live DVD (hopefully with Schism and Parabol/a videos)... um, sometime. As with the Lateralus vinyl, this could be one of those things that never really happen.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I know Maynard is currently doing APC, but does that mean Adam Jones ,, Justin Chancellor, and Danny Carey are just sitting around on the pot?

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    And i feel this coming over like a strom again...
    But: I DO mind!

6. apc sucks. tool good.

Why can't everyone in APC just quit and go back to their respective bands? (tool, smashing pumpkins, etc.)

7. Ok, let's get this straight. JUST because APC is touring again, doesn't mean Tool is over. Havn't you guys learned anything yet? The least amount of time between Tool CDs is 2 years. Now, between these two years, don't you think Maynard would want to play something else BESIDES Tool?

8. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Tool is a band that will be around for years to come. It takes time to make music that lasts for decades.

My question is I wonder if Tapeworm is out yet?

9. I don't like APC. I think they are wicked boring. Maynard should be putting a tad more focus on Tool.

Since APC just kind of sparked out of nothing. And he has been around with Danny and Adam for quiet some time. And Justin for a while too.

But I really need to see Tool in concert when they decide to go on tour again. And I also hope that the next album will be just as good as Lateralus. If not better.

10. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    You've never seen a tool show?
    Well....your in for a treat when you do!!!:)

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    APC's mer de noms puts me to sleep, guaranteed 100% of the time..I was even late for class once because of it.

it's not bad music, it's just...sleepy.

Lateralus was alittle disappointing when I first heard it but it has since grown on me, and I really really like it now.

aenima was a winner from day one.

I haven't heard undertow

Opiate is also a winner.

Tool is a good band, I look forward to what they come out with next.

12. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    If you like Tool, Undertow is a must!!
    Every album is diffrent....but always Tool!
    Salival is a cool CD too. They do a version Led Zeppelin's "No Quarter" and they pull it off very well,IMO. :)

13. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    I don't think anybody said anything about breaking up. But I agree. Musicians as prolific as Tool need be involved in more than one thing at once.

No. Danny appears on Adrian Belew's record with Les Claypool, the newest Collide cd, the new Skinny Puppy cd, as well as toured with his band, the Pigmy Love Circus. Adam has been working with the Melvins [you may or may not know that Buzz from the Melvins plays on "You Lied", and "Stranglehold", covers by Tool (Peach and Ted Nugent, respectively)]. Peach, Justin's old band, just released a new record, I believe. There is also apparently a solo record by an unnamed Tool member in the works. A second string tribute to Tool has been released. Maynard appeared on the Underworld soundtrack. These guys do a lot. Tool is also scheduled to write a new song for the next Doom game.

As Joe said, get ready. But be warned that it will be awhile, unless they do the old King Crimson bit, going on tour with their new material before it's been recorded. I read that they've considered that, to work out the kinks before it gets on tape. Even then, it will be awhile.

14. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Actually thier not making a "new" CD. It's the same ROM media, but they are putting new data onto the same ROM media type known as a compact disc.

15. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    :confused: Explain.

From the new Guitar World, The Other Bald Guy (Billy) says:

So there you go. Assuming they work on the record for a year or so, the next Tool record will be out in mid to late 2005. I'm glad I've gotten heavily into a few other bands, or I might be in a clock tower right now.

16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

Don't worry, he was just trying to be clever.

the titled said CD which is a compact disc, the notion of tool creating a new compact disc, as in a new format, and not an actual album, is what he was alluding to.

;)

17. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Ah. Pardon my density (comparable, in fact, to that of a cd ;) ).

Just to be difficult, Lateralus is recorded in a "new" cd format, HDCD, which isn't really all that common. Most people (that I know, anyway) don't have the HD players, though, so they and I can't take advantage of the extra fidelity.

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ok thanks for the info guys, diehard Tool fan here, but ive just been too scared to investigate the If's and When's of a new CD, in fear of maybe finding out they may be over.

19. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I'm just waiting for them to come to somewhere near me, but nobody ever does!!! well, ok, some good bands do come here, but thats rarer than over at you :(

20. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I don't keep up with rumors, but a friend of mine, who is a big tool fan, he said that tool is rumored to be doing the music for Doom 3

I can't confirm or deny this, it's just passing information I heard.

:meh: