Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is Trace Elliot dead or not?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dace, May 10, 2002.

1. dace

dace

Dec 25, 2000
    sydney, australia
    i talked to a saleman at a well respected music shop in the city that i often buy gear from, and he says that Trace Elliot never recovered after they went broke.

but i've been hearing from a lot of people that gibson bought them and that they're still making a few selected amps.

can anyone clear up for me what's really going on with Trace Elliot?

2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i heard that gibson bought them and is moving production over to the USA!
    don't know if that is true
    but if it is will this make the stuff cheaper?
    hopefully

steve

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    As I understand it, Trace Elliot was bought by Gibson about 3 years ago. Gibson has now shut down the UK manufacturing line and is currently transferring the production of Trace Elliot stuff to the US - not sure where in the US though.

4. atlas

atlas

Feb 13, 2002
    allegedly the Ashdown Engineering is made by the core group that made Trace Elliot cool stuff back in the 80's early 90's.

5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    The UK factory is closed, but I do believe Trace Elliot will not disappear. There are rumours about a US factory (and I tend to believe in this), while other rumours say there will never be any new Trace Elliot factory.

I believe that if this were the case, the TE website would be shut down, or at least redirected to the main Gibson website. Just like Fender did for Sunn. But the TE website is still alive and well :
    http://www.trace-elliot.com

I think TE is just "pending" until the new factory is ready. If TE had to disappear, this would be a great loss in musical industry. But I don't believe this will happen. Of course, I may be wrong.

All the best,

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The brand and the intellectual property are too valuable to waste. I'm sure TE will be back in some form.

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hmm...don't bet on it. Remember Tobias??? Remember Steinberger???

It's likely that TE is just another victim of the Gibson curse. :(

8. I hope to god not. TE make some wicked amps even now. If i had the cash I'd buy my stuff from them.

sim

9. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Would be pitiful. I can't imagine a low-end TE range sold via MusicYo.com only... 7-band and 12-band series discontinued, and only the Commando series still on production...

And then... who would endorse Tony Levin ? ;)
    Ashdown ? Aguilar ?

Hoping a great TE range will be back soon...

All the best,

10. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I have to double this point of view. The AH1000 head with its BFC cab seems incredible (and incredibly heavy too :rolleyes: ).

All the best,

11. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I think it's more like the Gibson inability to understand or manage smaller upscale or niche brands. They should really stop buying companies that they can't manage.

12. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I keep meaning to try this one out. I bought the AH500 head and a 4 x 10 and 1 x 15 - smaller chunks to make it more portable.

There is one in Sound Control in Glasgow - if anyone is looking!:)

13. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I am hoping that recent events mean that I won't have any problems getting my hands on a Trace 2 x 10 in the near future..... I've got the 7215SMC and the 2103H cabinet would make a perfect complement to the rig (reasonable small and portable)......

Anyone got one they want to sell secondhand or know of one going secondhand in Edinburgh or nearby?

Pete