1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

IS Traynor Missing Out On Sales Due To A Lack OF A Class D 800W-1000W Head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PJ Bassthumper, May 26, 2019.

1. I was thinking as bass players we have it pretty good right now and that watts per dollar have never been cheaper. That being said I see Traynor doesn't have a class D light weight head in the 800W-1000w range.
    I know they used to have the XS800 head back in the day with a tube preamp section which was pretty cool.
    I would love to see from the company an expansion to their SB line like an SB800 or SB1000 with parametric eq like on the Peavey Mini Mega (inner/outer knob) and an aux in like on the SB200 with the same aesthetics as their current SB line. Nothing fancy, no disco lights or anything tacky. If they built something like that I'd be first in line at L&M to buy one.
    Anyways I just feel that Traynor is being left behind, we have Ampeg PF 800, Peavey Mini Mega, Genzler 800, Mesa D800, Fender Rumble 800 HD, Warwick LWA 1000, Markbass LM800, GK MB800 and many more.
    So in the end I just wanted to start a friendly discussion to see if the TB community is in agreeance with me or if I'm in the minority with my way thinking?

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  2. You're likely correct in that regard.

PJ Bassthumper likes this.
  3. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Guess they realized another pre in front of a ice power is just plain waste of time.

Manticore, Abe-of-Bass, aldaa and 3 others like this.
  4. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    Amen!!

Manticore likes this.
  5. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I had to search to see what a Traynor was! I've never seen one! Do they sell direct only?

PJ Bassthumper likes this.
  6. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Tranyor being one of the only surviving company's that actually makes med/ high power Tube amp that hasnt been discontinued or constantly break lol.

Likewise more affordable

7. I respectfully disagree, I think (though I could be wrong) that the class D is the number one selling class of amp, not everyone wants to carry a full on tube head or even a heavy solid state head. I only make this comment judging by all the class D amps I see for sale at the music stores online or in person.

PillO, sludgetail, Frank77 and 2 others like this.
  8. I'm not sure but I think you can find them at some music stores state side, maybe in smaller Mom and Pop stores, they are really big in Canada and are in every Long & Mcquade across Canada which is Canada's largest music chain store. Think of them as Peavey of the North but in my opinion better sounding, they have a reputation of being built like tanks with a good sound at a very reasonable price. I believe most of their stuff is still built in Canada too.

9. Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    I don't think he's saying that they should be making heavy amps. It's the ICEpower craze that's getting old. We need more proprietary Class D or other amps.

10. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma

Not really, they have the SB series. They just stopped at 500 watts and haven’t come out with a higher powered amp (yet).

11. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    There are more companies than B&O/ICE making class D amps. But to your point it seems like the companies that try to roll their own on class D design have the highest number of failure issues - ampeg, Carvin, Orange, etc

keyofnight, miljoneir, MDBass and 2 others like this.
  12. Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    Maybe because they are hearing the same thing I am hearing in that the higher power ICEpower modules don't sound as good. The latest 1200 watt version that is hailed as being the solution to the lead sled is the worst yet. It sounds like Class D on steroids.

13. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    ... and the problems that seem to plague many proprietary class d/SMPS designs? This includes the generally inferior warranty and lack of replacement parts when the manufacturer gives up on their proprietary platform too.

Based on everything I have studied over the past 10 years, this certainly appears to be true. Why you might ask? The reason is that the amount of R&D, layout, prototyping, testing to get to a reliable, stable solution usually exceeds what can be supported given the size of the bass amp industry. Add into this the additional difficulty and cost associated with safety and EMC compliance certification, the cost becomes so high that something else has to give in order to remain competitive. This may be warranty, overall quality of parts, country of manufacture or long term support.

fdeck, nomaj, PillO and 11 others like this.
  14. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    That, and 500 watts is pretty loud already. The maximum difference between a 500 and 1000 watt amp is 3dB. That's considered "barely audible". I say maximum, because that doesn't take things like power compression and/or real world power handling into the equation.

15. I'm more concerned about the general dearth of small, powerful lightweight cabs to go along with those heads. They had a whole line of neo cabs at one point, but stopped selling them one by one it seems.

PillO, edencab, -Asdfgh- and 3 others like this.
  16. I hear what you're saying and agree with you that 500 is plenty loud but I also sense that that there is a huge market for the 800w - 1000w head weather we need it or not for the difference in price I'll pony up the extra cash for a PF800 over a PF 500 and though not everyone I bet most people would to.

17. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    Sounds like you haven’t played the Berg Forte.

I’ve honestly never understood the “sounds like class D” thing: don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of class D heads I don’t like the sound of, but the preamp is primarily what you’re hearing in a bass amp design and every major PA everywhere is class D anyway.

Dominic DeCosa, Bassgeer and Frank77 like this.
  18. Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    Sorry, but after having 2 amps with the 1200 watt module by 2 well respected manufacturers I have say this is very wrong. Both amps with 2 completely different preamp sections had the same tonal characteristics that made both amps sound very bad IMO. One of the amps had a preamp section that has been used in many of their amps over the past 20 years and I am quite familiar with. I have not played the Forte, but I do have a B Amp on the way and my experience with other amps with that same module have not been particularly favorable. The only Class D bass amps I've liked were either lowered powered ICEpowered amps or amps that have a proprietary Class D amp, and even that list is very small.

19. I can't help but wonder if we are watching the slow death of this very iconic Canadian company, A few posts up someone said they had to look up what Traynor was, it seems upon doing a little research that Guitar Centre used to carry Traynor but when you go there it says no products exist. Unless you're company is high end, which Traynor is not, without presence in one of the major US instrument stores I can't see how the company survives. 350 million in the US VS 35 million in Canada I can't see how the company would survive just selling equipment in Canada and add to that the demise of their neo cabs, the demise of the XS800 and XS400 heads which with the tube preamp and solid state power amp would compete along the lines of an Ampeg SVT3 and SVT7 pro and no real new products on the bass side in a while, I just don't see it surviving. I do hope I'm very wrong about how I think it will play out.

srayb likes this.
  20. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    Correlation isn’t causality.

I’m quite sure that if you were to ask any amp designer, they would tell you that the power module in and of itself isn’t the main factor in the sound: otherwise all class AB amps would sound the same too, and they don’t.

Paging @agedhorse?

All major PA’s are class D, that’s just a fact, and high powered class D at that ;)

PillO likes this.