Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is Vox bass history traceable?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 8va, Jun 6, 2005.

1. 8va

8va

Jul 16, 2004
    Does anyone know if it is possible to find out some info about a Vox bass given the serial number? I'd be interested to know year of manufacture. It was made in Japan (!). I'd also like to know what it may be worth but that's not really important. What'd I'd really like to know is what materials it's made of for fretboard, neck and body. Most of the Vox sites I can find focus mainly on amps.
    Many thanks

2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Unfortunately, all Vox serial numbers meant very little. If you have a Japanese made Vox bass then you've already shortened the list of possible models which in turn narrows the manufacturing time frame. That's because they were only made in Japan for a few years during the early 80's.

Do you know what model the bass is?

As far as value, Japanese made Voxes have very little. You can expect the bass to be worth between $250.00 - $400.00 depending on its condition.

TD
    :cool:

3. 8va

8va

Jul 16, 2004
    Thanks for the info. It's a "Vox standard bass" so I guess it's nothing special. Very no-frills design. Black colour (so again maybe not so popular). I don't mind it not being worth a lot but I would like to find out what wood is used for the various parts. I like it lots - except the weight that is :bassist:

4. Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    The Vox "Standard Bass" is actually the model 3504.

Introduced in 1982 and discontinued in 1985 by Rose-Morris.

Features included;

- Black Polyester Finish
    - 34" long scale
    - 24 fret neck
    - Full Spec DiMarizio P-bass Humbucking pickup
    - Series / Parallel switch
    - Body, neck and fingerboard made from Hard Maple

Hope this helps.

Apparently the Standard and the Custom (J-P version) are good basses.
    Personally, i'd like to find a Vox "White Shadow". It was the next series that replaced the Standard & Custom.

TD
    :cool:

5. 8va

8va

Jul 16, 2004
    That's great. I thank you again for the information. Ah so that's how the pickup switch operates (series/parallel). I thought maybe it switched in/out some kind of attenuator.

Could I draw on your expertise a little further about the strings it uses... I think they may be the original ones! At the nut end they have red cloth (cotton?) wrapping just before they enter the tuning pegs. At the tailstock end the round-wire wrapping only begins being wound after the string has cleared the bridge. ie the centre core of the strings is the only part that touches the bridge itself. I've never seen that on bass strings before (newbie status claimed :) ) A bought some Trace Elliot strings recently and the round-wire string wrapping goes almost up to the anchor - at least it goes over the bridge of the guitar. I hope that I've decribed that ok. What I'd like to know is, does it matter which strings I put on the VOX in this regard?

Thanks

6. Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    From your description it sounds like your bass has a set of Roto-Sound Swing 66 roundwound strings on it. Without seeing them first hand it's difficult to tell for sure exactly what they are. But you will need long scale strings for it.

It makes no difference what type or make of string you put on the bass. It will accommodate any string that you choose.
    Try if you can not to have the silk threading on the string cross the bridge. You want a bare section of the sting in contact with the bridge.

Yes, that small switch is to put the humbucking pickup in either series or parallel mode. Which means it will be thin sounding or fat sounding. Some people refer to this as putting the pickup "in" or "out" of "phase".

Good luck

TD

7. YingYangWooten

YingYangWooten

Jul 15, 2009
    Scotland
    Hey! Was just doin a search on internet to find out some info on a Vox bass and came across your comment from 2005.

The bass I was looking for info on was in fact a VOX White Shadow, M-Series. It is black with a red trim round it, all original parts in not bad condition for its age!

I just thought that you may be interested 2 know.

Thanks.

8. Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Vox White Shadow basses are pretty rare. They were made in Japan during the mid 80's for a couple of years. Personally, I love their body and headstock shape.

Seems that Black with red trim was the most common finish available although they did make them in White. Vox also made a 5 string version. I've been looking for one for a number of years, but can only find fretless versions when I find one at all.

If you've got photos of a White Shadow, post them.

Here's a photo from the 80's of them.

[​IMG]

TD

9. YingYangWooten

YingYangWooten

Jul 15, 2009
    Scotland
    Hey! That info is really useful cheers!

I forgot to mention however it is also a fretless model!

Will try get a picture or 2 up soon as I have just joined the forums tonight.

Thanks again.