Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is wash too bland?!?!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by bsfwash, Jul 26, 2000.

1. bsfwash

bsfwash

May 7, 2000
    our rythymist came up with the name of "wash" in the 1st few days that we started our band, i was ok with it at first but then i found out he just took the name of a pearl jam song and really "wash" isn't very catchy, i thought of "backwash" since he isn't willing to change the name totally
    i'd like to hear some bassist opinion here

2. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    WASH....i like that. i like that a lot! its short, its simple, its memorable, its wierd, its different. yeah, its cool. go with it. just WASH, not backwash. backwash is too specific and little sounding, WASH can be anything.

[This message has been edited by brewer9 (edited July 27, 2000).]

3. BassDudeJake

BassDudeJake

Jul 26, 2000
    I think backwash is better than wash, but I think you should come up with a whole new band name.

------------------
    Playing bass is not a hobby. It is an essential.

4. i like wash. just please, no more bands with random numbers after their names!!

5. bsfwash

bsfwash

May 7, 2000
    like "sr71" (its a band too, not making this up)

6. lets make a list of bands with numbers in them. sr71, blink 182, 311, 112, eiffel 65, crash-81 (a local band yall wouldnt know em), 10,000 maniacs.....thats all i can think of for now. other people post bands with numbers on them to finish off my list

------------------
    "I'd rather tear things down than build them up it's easier that way" -The Offspring

7. I think "wash" is cool. When you make your first CD, just be sure to record everything "dry." [​IMG] (Sorry!)

8. Biski2Dope

Biski2Dope

Mar 26, 2000
    Adding to the list of band names with numbers...L7, 88 Fingers Louie, 59 times the pain, Dillinger 4, Fury 66, 7 seconds, 20%, the list goes on and on...what's with that? Number's aren't that fun anyway...

------------------
    I sleep past noon but that's okay, i'll be president someday...

9. Stroke 9, 9 Days, Level 42, Five Way Friday (regional Southern band), 17 Years (defunct Atlanta punk band), Empire 44 (Atlanta goth band), The Dave Clark Five, The Jackson Five, Powerman 5000, MC 900-foot Jesus, The Marvelous 3, 16 Horsepower, Haircut 100.. that's all I can think of right now.

10. bsfwash

bsfwash

May 7, 2000
    wow i'm suprised we forgot a couple big ones
    3rd Eye Blind and Matchbox 20. But i suppose we should give Matchbox Twenty some praise, they saw the error of their ways and changed them

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

SR-71 is not a random number - it's the designation of the "super-fast" spy plane, usually known as the "BlackBird" - it flies incredibly high at over 3 times the speed of sound. Presumably this group (I have never heard of them before!) are U2 fans - they also took their name from a US high-level spy plane.

Oh and I agree that Wash is very bland and decidely unmemorable.

12. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    here goes some

marvelous 3 (thats because they have 3 members in their band though)
    90lb wuss
    98 mute
    3 doors down
    4 skins
    7 seconds
    30 foot fall

those all seem like pretty crappy names to me, but i havent listened to any of their music in detail so i wont bad mouth them

13. BassoOstinato

BassoOstinato

Jul 31, 2000
    Here's one more:

8Beats7

OSTINATO

14. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Back to the original question. I honestly do think "Wash" is too bland.(So make an idiot of me and sell ten million records.) But anyway, I'm looking at it from the imaginary point of view of a record company executive...which I am NOT...but if a band named "WASH" gave me a demo, I don't think I would listen. The name doesn't have "oomph" or charisma. And it certainly doesn't reflect the style of music. It sounds too much like a chore like "Scrub" or "Sweep"or "Vacuum" or "Mow". So it has a somewhat unpleasant connotation. I'm just saying this because I subscribe to the theory that a band's name is as important as the name of a movie or a book or an automobile and requires long and thoughtful consideration. Jason Oldsted

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    don't forget 10cc - they named themselves after the average volume of a human male's ejaculation, + 1 cc (the average is 9 ccs) i guess they were implying that they were above average.

------------------
    you wanna see a frustrated guitarist? let a guitarist try to do something useful on one of my basses. _THAT'S_ a frustrated guitarist.

16. hmm...

Orange 9mm, b-52's, sevendust(although that one's spelled out, hehe), jupiter2(local from NH), 702(r&b group), 98-degrees(yech!), six feet under, audio two(rap), 3rd base(rap),hi-five, 3t...

all i can think of...

17. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ostinato, theres also 8Stops7.

John, LOL, that rules. but maybe theyre saying that they are BELOW average....10CCs for like 5 guys? Ouch. Hey, where in the hell did you learn about the 9CCs anyway?! Just because they called your basses "penis basses" doesnt mean you need to research! Well, you better get one with 9 strings now! [​IMG]

Also, dont forget Eve 6 and U2 (nobody said this?!).

Wash seems to bland to me too...not punchy or catchy...to me.

18. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MegaAngus:
    Also, dont forget Eve 6 and U2 (nobody said this?!).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeez.. what an oversight!
    Here are some more.. I'm taking these off the roster for the Atlantis Music Conference that's being held here in Atlanta next weekend.. it's kind of a wanna-be South by Southwest.. a lot of these are local or regional bands:
    19 Wheels, 3D5SPD, 420 Monks, 5 lb. bag, Drill 187, Empire 44, Rev 7, Something 5, Super X-13

19. How about one of the originals - 3 Dog Night? Whoops! that has the random (and I might add prime) number before the name. Does that count?

The concept goes back...waaaay back - The Hot Five and Hot Seven bands of Louis Armstrong.

It might be cool if WASH stood for something else like White Anglo Saxon Hooligans
    We Ain't SH**
    Why Are SUV's Heavy
    We Aren't Singing Harmoniously

or something else known only to the band.

[Edited by Hambone on 08-07-2000 at 08:51 PM]

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

So you mean at 8.5cc that I'm BELOW average?

I guess some of it must get lost in the length somewhere?
    :confused: