Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is wearing only one contact at a time bad for you?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by paniak17, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Well, is it? For the past 4 month's i have been doing it because of a lot of corneal abrasions....but...luckily i've been corneal abrasion free for about a month. Mostly because of decreasing my chances in half by only wearing one at a time, and using eye drops to wet my eye before i take my contacts out.

So.....Will it decrease my vision(i feel that it has....)?

2. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    yeah uh... It probably isn't good. I know that doesn't help much, but as a contact user i felt i should chime in. Hopefully someone with actual biology will ring in.

3. I guess you really want to avoid glasses. Understandable. But you would need a contact in each eye? If you only wear one in one eye you can get headaches because it puts a strain on your eyes to adjust to clear vision. Possibly the brain compensates by turning off the eye that doesn't see well and relying on the good eye, but I am sure that is reversable. You will see better with both eyes, of course. Speak to an optician for expert advice.

4. Yeah, when i first started doing it, it was really blurry and hard, but I think I have trained my brain somewhat. The only problem is my pupil in the other eye get's really really big and it looks like my eyes are two different sizes. But...It's better than glasses. I only wear those when i'm at home.

5. jtsam

jtsam

Apr 11, 2005
    shouldnt cause harm, some people are actually perscribed to wear contacts like this. if your perscription allows you to see far but is detrimental to your close vision then sometimes they'll have you only wear one contact as a sort of bifocal solution (not really a bifocal, but it solves the problem in a different way) you brain adjusts after a while. your vision wont be quite as good since only one eye is corrected for differents (i assume you're near sighted) only problem might be because sometimes perscriptions help prevent further vision loss by correcting the problem, it depends on your needs if this is an issue for you- if you're worried about it then talk to your eye doctor.

6. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Crazy thought, but have you asked your optometrist this question? Seems to me he would be better qualified than the members of talkbass to answer this question.

Then again...I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.......

Seems like a good way to give yourself headaches.

7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Never bothered me. I actually was prescribed to wear one contact for about two years. I finally got fed up with it, and switched to glasses, which I still rarely wear. :meh: