1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is Yahoo messed up for everyone or is it just me?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bard2dbone, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Yahoo.com is the default front page on my computer. It used to be a fairly useful site. So I got used to it.

Now, however, it's less useful than a virus loaded malware farm like Bing.

So, say you see a story link that looks interesting. Most recent example: Trevor Noah said something interesting about our national tendency to have frequent massacres interspersed with people always saying it's the wrong time to politicize our frequent massacres. Someone said to him "Why do you have an opinion on this? This is an American concern." And Noah replied (click here to go further) Parents of Baby Charlie Withdraw Legal Action.

I don't mean that as a hypothetical. Every story link you (well...I) click on will go to the front page of yahoo.co.uk from July 24th with the top story being Baby Charlie's parents.

So I try again- Wild Video: Carjacker chased, then fatally shot as he bobbed in river Blah blah blah words words. The suspect, whose name wasn’t immediately released, instead grabbed a handgun and fled — initially on foot, and then in two carjacked vehicles. The first car was a BMW, authorities ...(click to continue)Parents of Baby Charlie Withdraw Legal Action.

Again - Trumps Chief Of Staff allegedly used 'compromised' phone for months blah blah blah words words Still, a White House spokesperson told Politico that Kelly hadn't used his personal phone "often" after taking over as chief of staff, implying that it did happen from time to (click) Parents of Baby Charlie Withdraw Legal Action

DO you sense a pattern here? I'm kind of fed up. But I'd rather figure out how to make yahoo work again than start over getting used to another front page.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    Try Google...only the search is displayed...or try TB as your home page...no fake news there!:thumbsup:

tlc1976 likes this.
  3. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    remember when yahoo used to be a search engine? now they manage webmaster tools for bing, microsoft's search engine. times change.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I think this thread is a masked attempt to talk about a couple banned subjects at TB.
    :D

To be helpful though, I went and checked it out myself. I clicked on several headlines, and the appropriate story loaded.
    At this point, I would suggest you download and update the malware app of your choice, and run a couple scans to see if you are infected.

-Mike

5. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    It happens at home and at work. Both places I load up my account. So it could be me being virused out in the cloud so that it hits both places the same, maybe.

And no I wasn't trying to sneak in subjects. It's just that those are things that would make me want to know the next line...and it will be Baby Charlie's Parents again.

6. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    This wouldn't fix my issue, though. Google has a search window only. Maybe MSN.com is a closer match. Oddly the search still seems to work fine on Yahoo. But any story that looks interesting will be guaranteed to go back to that same page.

I suppose for now I'll switch my homepage to MSN and just come back to yahoo for my email. But I'll be bitter about it while I do. Grrrr.

7. shorthand

shorthand Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2014
    Yep, the same thing happens to me. I can't figure a workaround.

8. Yahoo still rules Japan. I don't use it, but my wife does. Don't know if it has the same issues here.

9. tlc1976

tlc1976

Aug 2, 2016
    Michigan
    Google is my home page at work. Simple and quick. At home I just leave my home page blank. I've got extremely limited bandwidth to it doesn't go anywhere unless I tell it to.

I had to get an add on for my dad's Firefox to not play videos unless he clicked them. He likes the Yahoo home page, and the constant auto loading of videos was maxing out his data limit in short order.

10. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    I haven't had a problem with it so far. I do notice that yahoo is extremely responsive to what you click on. If you don't want to be overloaded with news articles from an annoying source, never click on anything they write.

11. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    You should be able to turn that off in the settings.