Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is you Bass Exciter noisey?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chips, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Gday guys.

Just picked myself up an Aphex Bass Exciter. Its good at what it does, but ive found its actually quite noisy when its turned on. Anyone else have this problem, or do i just have a dodgey unit?

Its not THAT big of a deal because im getting an NS-2 soon.

Peace
    Blake

2. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    My theory on this it that it's the Aural Exciter that's causing your noise. From what I've read the AE side can increase hiss if you set it to high: Harmony Central - Bass Xciter

The reason it "can't" be the Big Bottom is cus it's a LPF in front of a compressor. There is no high freq hiss (cut out by LPF) for the comp to increase.

3. *russian accent*

very interesting mr. bond.....

4. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Hope it helps...

5. i can actually eliminate most of the noise, just by cutting thr treble or hi mid on my amp, and the exciter makes up for it. Plus the NS-2 will fix my problems... i hope :meh:

6. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I own an NS-2. Trust me, it will eliminate the noise!

Oh, and try to run all your spacial (delay, verb, chorus, etc.) effects after it and all your other fx in the "fx loop".

Oh and I'm still considering getting one of these for my fuzz/wah board, if only for the Big Bottom...

7. Why after it? i was just going to run everything in the loop.

8. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    in the manual it says that things like verb and delay (or anything else that continues after a note) will get cut short.

9. oh right... that makes it interesting then. So, having things in the loop under-go more noise supression then pedals after it? Because the Aphex is sposed to be run at the end of your chain... hrmmmm

10. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Oh ya, forgot to mention that the "positon" of the noise gate is based on the volume at the input jack and not at the return jack so your FX can be as noisy as all Hell, in theory.

11. Awsome, thanks alot dude. Would chorus and flange be considered to go in with the reverb and delay type effects?

12. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I beleive chorus and flange are considered "dynamic" filters. If the effect doesn't continue after the note you play it should go in the loop.

13. sweet :D

14. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    glad I could help......

(sorry for the big image :bag: )

15. john keates

john keates

May 20, 2004
    I find I get noise from my Aural Exciter even when both the blends are down to zero... does nobody else get that?