1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is your band still rehearsing?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by mstillman, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Yes

23.7%
  2. Yes, but less often

7.8%
  3. Yes, but not everyone

2.9%
  4. No

59.1%
  5. Carrots

6.5%
  1. mstillman

mstillman

Dec 6, 2011
    MetroWest MA
    Just a quick poll to see who's still rehearsing.

Stay safe, all

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    As long as people are feeling ok, why not?

3. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Because it is now known that you can transmit the virus before you start showing symptoms.

Bass Momma, lat, bassboysam and 37 others like this.
  4. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    We cancelled a gig Saturday and had a film crew and live album recording set to go. So we hit the studio of our recordist and shot some footage instead. 10 people rather than 150; it was a good compromise. 74DA9AAA-5DE9-4DDA-8CBF-32D7FA512D5D.jpeg

5. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If we can't join in small groups, we might as well all retreat to our homes until we run out of food and have to start eating squirrel poop from our lawns.

6. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Well, some of us are pretty much doing that (apart from the squirrel-poop bit).

My two bands have both cancelled rehearsals, although not everybody agreed it was necessary. I think whether you should or not depends on numerous factors. For example, both of my bands are made up of mainly 60-somethings, including one who suffers from asthma and one who just recently got over a bad case of bronchitis. Another factor might be how big your rehearsal space is and how thus much distance you can maintain from others. Something else I thought of regarding our rehearsals is that we always take a break or two over a three-hour session, during which people are touching common surfaces like door handles, bathroom hand towels, etc. Evidently the virus can survive on hard surfaces for days, and certainly more than three hours, so that's another possible mode of transmission. So, your mileage may vary: I can imagine rehearsal situations that would be very low-risk, and others (like ours) that pose enough risk that they're not worth testing your luck.

7. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I agree in your situation, it's wise to put things off.

Face it, for 98% of us, there won't be any gigging for some time (even Vegas is shutting down). We all need things to keep from going stir crazy.

8. Rehearsed last week. The this week and next week were already cancelled due to scheduling conflicts. Will revisit in a couple of weeks. I'm neither a denier nor a TP-hoarding panic monkey, but I'm definitely erring on the side of caution/common sense/patience.

mikewalker, makaspar, BOOG and 9 others like this.
  9. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i keep wondering why the CDC and the news acted like this was a real news flash. pretty much any cold or flu can be spread while you're pre-symptomatic.

10. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    At this point, with itbeing discuss d 24/7, ANY news is big news.

fleabitten likes this.
  11. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    If no one is getting gigs for the foreseeable future, whats the point. At least that is my small minded view.

People can still say they are going to practice at home and not do it.

mikewalker, BurnOut, Corbin and 5 others like this.
  12. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 14, 2011
    Sales Development Manager NN Inc. - Polymet, USA manufacturer of fret wire
    We rarely rehearse anyways unless it's to add new songs. We've been working on a list of new songs on our own.
    With no gigs on the books before Memorial Day we will definitely need to have a couple rehearsals to knock the rust off at some point.

Evil Funk, btmpancake and QweziRider like this.
  13. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    We've just postponed tonight's band practice.
    Our room is small and there's no way of keeping the required distance. We have members that take the whole thing very seriously and others who are in the "it's just a flu" camp, which makes it a bit of a hot topic.

14. Shalto

Shalto

Aug 23, 2019
    Australia
    I kinda enjoy playing music....

SteveCS, ThePez, Element Zero and 7 others like this.
  15. bfields

bfields

Apr 9, 2015
    Ann Arbor, MI
    When we first discussed it mid-week, our schools were still in session and it seemed public health people weren't raising small gatherings as an issue. By Friday pretty much everything was canceled and we decided not to. Our band membership is middle- to retirement- age, so maybe that's wisest. And band rehearsal is a fun thing for us, not necessary.

Everybody I personally know who works in a hospital is dreading the expected onslaught of cases. I work from home and my wife's available to watch the kid while I work. So it's not difficult for us to avoid any social contact outside the minimum required to keep the pantry stocked, and I'm happy to do my part to slow the spread. My sympathies to the many people I know for whom this is a much more difficult choice.

16. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    we are on hiatus TFN. All gigs and rehearsals off the calendar for the next 6 months.
    Health and family are priority at this time.

17. allanmac00

allanmac00 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2006
    We’ve canceled two upcoming gigs and expect to cancel more. We’ve toyed around with the idea of doing a virtual basement show/live stream. Even getting together in a small group though (5 of us in the band) makes me nervous.

CosmicRay and Lobster11 like this.
  18. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Yes, but maybe not much longer.

19. allanmac00

allanmac00 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Hopefully by this point you’re aware that you can be carrying it even if you are symptom free. Not trying to be a jack ass, just in the interest of public service.

20. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    I voted carrots since we don't tend to rehearse anyway. I think the time is ripe for me to start recording my solo album :) lol. I see my musical activities being comprised of copious practice and recording demos for the foreseeable future.

fishdreams and Sascha Erni like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021