Is your bass jealous of your guitar?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by count_funkula, May 16, 2001.

1. Anybody here ever feel guilty when you start practicing on a guitar and neglecting your bass?

I have been trying to write some songs that I plan on recording soon and I'm using my acoustic to create the chord
    progressions. I have been spending time building my guitar skills back up and feel bad because I'm not practicing on my bass.

Am I ill?
  2. Comakazi

May 3, 2001
    Midwest US
    Yes, strangely enough. I've been messing around with guitar, for a bit now, trying to just broaden my horizons. Last night, though, as I was going to bed I passed by my bass and felt these weird pangs of guilt. It's not like I'm quitting playing bass - absolutely not! I just wanted to try something different. Oh well. I will play it tonight so it won't feel neglected.
  3. cole

Sep 14, 2000
    nope -- they sleep right next to each other, and there's no problems.
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    every guitar that sees one of my basses starts to cry.
  5. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    It´s kinda the opposite here..I´ve been playing guitar since I was 12, but since I got the bass I always feel like the guitar is mad at me for some reason..
  6. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Yes, you are ill.
  7. cole

Sep 14, 2000
    even 12-string guitars?
  8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yep. have you seen the _SIZE_ of my basses? ;)
  9. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Not to mention that one of them actually has 14 strings!
  10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Nope. My guitar never gets jealous because although I have more basses and play them more, She knows she's my first instrument. That carries a lot of weight.

My Synth, however, is pi$$&d off. she's at about the bottom of the barrel, along with my alto recorder. At least it's in my place. My piano's still at my mother's house.

Will C.:cool:
  11. I don't even want to get started with our piano. That thing never gets played. It belonged to my wife and she has hardly touched it since we have been married. I think the piano blames me. I swear I've seen that thing move toward me when I walk by with my bass!
  12. I think my guitar is jelious of my bass..... mainly because my guitar doesn't have tuners, string trees, nor is all the wiring fully connected!
  13. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    my dad is retired now and he got the idea of learning Guitar... so now he gave me the task of buying one (ain´t that cool?? :cool: )

so i don´t think his guitar will be jealuos of my bass... i could turn to a father-son relationship :D

of course i´ll try some chords on guitar... i never studied it... but i strongly believe that i´ll not be sucked in the guitar world... and stay in the bass world :)
  14. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    No. But the microwave's sending mixed signals and
    the toaster's been laughin' at me :( . Don't EVEN get
    me started on the waffle iron (that bitch! :mad: ).
  15. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    my ashbory is jealous of my jazz bass. it doesn't like how the jazz gets to go out & play so much. jazz gets 95% of the playing time cause unless if the part calls for upright the jazz can handle it. Now the cello-it doesn't even know the basses are here unless if it hears the noises ;) :D need.....more.....gear.....GAS IS taking over AHHH ;)
  16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Get him a B.C. Rich :D

Will C.:cool:
  17. bootyquake

Mar 29, 2001
    Washington, DC
    I always tell people that I'm Bi, and that seems to cover it. I love bass and guitar equally. My guitar playing gives me a serious understanding of chordal harmony on the bass, and my bass has taught me to walk bass lines on the guitar.

At times I feel more attached to one than the other. One week I feel like the bass is it and the guitar is inconsequential because it can't really hold down a groove. The next week I feel like the bass is too limiting melodically due to its support role.

But in the end I love all my instruments.
  18. cole

Sep 14, 2000
    you might want to invest in a tinfoil hat.
  19. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i love my guitar.

it used to be my (long deceased) grandfathers guitar, and he had it before he married my grandmother. (in 1930)

it's an acoustic, but with F-holes and a pickguard. sounds so good. and it's got this cool spiritual vibe. one time my dad walked in on me playing it and he almost started crying.

20. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Oh Yeah! :) Just like in one o' my favorite movies...
    "Lunatics: A Love Story". Mmmmm...Deborah Foreman :D