Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is your Elrick "Slip Sliding Away"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JOME77, Oct 4, 2004.

1. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I purchased a new Elrick a few months ago and when the bass arrived I noticed that the music store shipped it with a piece of foam wedged between the inside end of the case and the bass head stock. Seems the TKL Elrick case isn't exactly "form fit" and the foam kept the bass from sliding around in the case. I finally got tired of seeing that ugly piece of foam rubber in the case so I went to a local fabric store and found some material that matched the case interior exactly. If this is typical of all Elrick cases and yours has the same problem, you may want to modify your case in a like manner. All you need is a small piece of material that matches the bass case interior, a piece of styrofoam, some foam rubber and a glue gun. I'll attach a couple of pictures. If you have trouble finding the crushed velvet material (and your case has the same green crushed velvet interior) let me know and if you'll pay shipping I'll send a piece of the fabric large enough for you to make the required spacer. I bought a fairly large piece of material and have enough to do 10-15 cases.

2. Looks good. good work.

3. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    Yes!

I had the exact same problem with my Elrick. Not only did the bass move in the case, but in the right position the bass would rest on it's tuning pegs. :eek:

Jim @ Electric City worked with me and I replaced the OEM case with a Gator case. (Thanks Again Jim)

I like what you did with the foam.

Sam

4. What you SHOULD do, considering you have the materials, is make a curved body wedge to stop the body from sliding at all laterally...Fit it to the upper curve of the body. take the bass out, lay it on a piece of paper, trace the curve, cutit out of styro and foam and wrap that too. it'll never move then. Especially if your dim-witted guitar player leans your loaded case upside down from time to time. :)

That is in no sense of the word a form fitting case, as pictured... For it to be form fitting, it has to FIT THE FORM

5. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Yeah. I think I'm going to add a piece to the area around the upper horn this week-end. I think the only thing custom about the case is the Elrick logo on the front. Awesome bass though! :smug:

6. Yes, it is quite nice.

7. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I'm not a big fan of the Elrick cases either. I seem to have the best luck with a high quality, heavily padded gigbag overall with most of my basses anyway, but your fix to the hardcase seems to be a very good idea though and one I'd definitly consider.