Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is your favorite bass also your grunt bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Aug 1, 2001.

1. The exact question is: Is your favorite bass the one you gig with, or is it so precious to you that you wouldn't dare take it to a bar type gig for fear of it being stolen or damaged?

I haven't played in front of people for years, so I can't answer this one myself.

Mike J.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Currently my favorite bass I own is a my Sadowsky 24 fret 5 & Spector NS-5. I haven't had a gig since I got the Sadowsky (THIS SAT @ MY GUITARISTS BLOCK PARTY) but I've played gig's w/the NS-5.

I've very nervous about the bass getting stolen. This goes for every bass, thou. I can't rest comfortably after a gig unless the bass is in a gag on my shoulder. :)

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    My main Bass is a MIM Deluxe Jazz.I rehearse and gig with it.Not the most expensive Bass,but Id still be upset if it got swiped.And I know that some people will steal anything,my buddy had his Squier 5 string stolen at a show recently(at least they didnt get his 6 string Carvin fretless).

And like Nino,Im nervous of my gear getting stolen(I had my $50 winter car stolen years ago)so when were done playing I load up and go home.I'll almost never hang around after a gig.

4. My basses are the last thing I unpack from the car. Then I put em in the cases and they are the first thing to go.

I only have 3 (2 I take to gigs, the T-40 stays at home) But I'm still worried about them. I should probably pick up a MIM Jazz so I can "Fit in" with the other bands:) Then I'll have to get a StankRay5 to fill it out:)

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My Pedulla is my main fretted, and my Zon is my main fretless.

Wouldn't dream of gigging without them.

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I only have 3 basses [mim jazz, 5 string pilot +, & ashbory] my jazz is my oldest & is my work horse, right now it is strung with GHS Brite Flats Med. Gauge. The 5 is too new to have any experience worth mentioning then the Ashbory is a one trick pony. thats all

7. Pea-NUT

Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    Depends on what kind of gig. I only have 2 basses. elec 5string and acoustic 4 string. Never have though about them getting stolen. Its natural to have them with me at all times. unless they are locked away. sounds lame

8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'm usually a dick with my equipment, although I always take my equip everywhere. I just give people the "If you touch anything, I'll kill you" look if I see them go near it.

I wouldn't see why you'd want to let someone hear a certain sound on your cd, or recording, then have another sound for when you play out or something.

9. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i'm lucky. at the moment my fav bass is a MIJ squier made in '82. not an expensive bass, i gig with it beacuse of the sound, the weight & the small soft bag. yes, i'm lazy!!!

10. My favourite bass still hangs on the wall of my dealer. Doubtless it'll always be there, save for winning a packet on the Lottery or whatever!
    :D

John

11. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    My Sterling goes with me everywhere. Couldn't imagine playing anything else...

12. My Sadowsky hasn’t missed a single gig since I got it.
    Although I do worry about it in between sets and try to stay close by.