Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is your Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass noisey?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kdogg, Jan 8, 2006.

1. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    I just picked up a fender geddy lee jazz bass, and I absolutely love it! Took it to practice tonight, and I can't believe how amazing this bass sounds. It's the perfect rock bass, nice and growly, and good slap tones too. The only down side is, it is incredibly noisey. You know, that single coil buzz. I spent a lot of time trying to find positions where the pick ups weren't buzzing as much. It's a little annoying, but the tone is worth it!

Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions? :help:

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  3. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    I believe that bass has fender custom shop 60's in it, if I'm wrong so be it.
    I put those in my jazz and had the same problem.
    I sheilded / star grounded it using the guide shown here on talk bass. There used to be a sticky somewhere but I can't find it now. Regardless it is silent now.

I was typing to slow and got beat to it but know it does work!

4. beadgc

beadgc

Oct 10, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    If you have both pickups' volume balanced, the pair becomes "humbucking," and the 60 cycles thing goes away, but any other setting and you'll get it. It's true of any jazz with single-coil pickups (all the old ones and most of the new ones). Shielding is the only way to go.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

As the others have said, single coil pickups hum, unless you have them both turned on full. This is true of any dual pickup bass with single coils.

Basses with one single coil are much worse, because you can't get rid of the hum.

Mine only hums in places where the environment is bad. Computer equipment, neon lights, flourescent lights, etc.

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    your wrong :)
    http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0992123000

7. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    Thanks everyone! The buzzing is actually present with both pick ups at full volume. I'll definitely be shielding this bad boy, because as I mentioned in my original post, I love the sound of this bass.

8. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Is it me, or is the GL J-bass the best bang-for-the-buck Jazz bass on the market?

That thing plays better than most J's I've played, including boutiques. And that was a Guitar Denter setup. I wonder if the BassAss has something to do w/ it.

Are there any other cons to the GL?

Does it feel heavy to wear all evening? Felt a little heavy in the shop to me...

I've heard people having problems with neck twisting on the model. Anything to this?

P.S. I get some 60 cycle hum on my Mike Lull with single coils even though it's properly shielding.

9. alibloke

alibloke

Dec 17, 2004
    Bristol, England
    If the buzzing is still present with both pickups on full volume then it might not be 60Hz hum, but RF interference picked up by your strings. Shielding is the best option, and/or grounding the bridge (although this presents a possible shock hazard).

http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/electrical/safety/index.php

If it does turn out to be 60hz hum, try checking the polarity of your pickups' wiring. If one pickup is wired out of phase with the other, then the hum will actually get louder when both pickups are at equal volume......