1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is Your Job Just Something You Do Or An Expression Of Who You Are?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Neb Maro, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Some people identify themselves by what job they have. Some people just see their job as a means to pay the bills and find their meaning of life and/or identiy outside of work. Is it more important to have a career or to just have a job to pay the bills?

DO those who have trained for careers (gone to school and/or interned) feel more satisfied that those who just work?

2. anomalee

anomalee

Dec 16, 2005
    London, KY
    I went to school for my job (railroad conductor) and it's just a job. I am and will always will be a father first and a musician second. The rest of it just kind of blends together as a distant third.

3. I'd work at almost anywhere just to get the scraps for my first bass...

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Means to an end.

5. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I work to live....not the other way around.

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Depends. I definitely think there's a difference between a "job" and a "career". A career would definitely be a reflection of your personality and interests.

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    My job is definitely NOT who I am. I honestly dont fit in very well with most of my coworkers, and don't hang out with any of them outside of work.

I have over 20 years invested there, so I'm in until I reach retirement age, but I purposely try to avoid every single stereotype associated with my profession.

8. I don't think my job defines me by any stretch, I mean, work is pretty much always gonna be work, right? But it does help to do something you at least enjoy. I am a graphic designer full time and I enjoy what I do, but it's still sometimes sucks. It's corporate and kind of annoying at times, but I am paid decently so it evens out. I also record some in my studio, and that is often fun but can suck also at times. Depends on the client, really. I am going to also be teaching part time at a local community college this spring, I am hoping that is cool.

9. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    This is exactly how I view myself in the future (albeit with a different job).

I don't know too many people who still believe in this new age 'do what you want' philosophy after graduating college. It's a student/politically correct thing.

Of course, as a pre-med student myself, I'm not supposed to say any of this - I'm supposed to be interested in helping people... or something like that :bag:

10. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    well, people assume that the kind of job i have requires a deep level of commitment.
    at this point...meh. i dunno.

btw, i'm a prostitute. :D
    j/k.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    As of right now I work in a warehouse cutting open boxes. That's pretty far from the real me. I prefer taping the lids back on.

It's something for extra cash.

Maybe later in life my job will be more defining.

12. FrigginChris

FrigginChris

Feb 6, 2006
    illinois
    just something i do

13. GhostLobby

GhostLobby totally deeeeef on the hi-hat side

Nov 20, 2006
    Seattle
    It's just a j.o.b. at the moment, but I'm going back to school to be a radiology tech with the ultimate goal of running MRI and/or CT Scan machines. At that point it will be way more than just a job because what I'll be doing will have life or death consequences. I'm looking forward to having that responsibility.

14. You afford Fenders just by doing that?!
    MEH, SIGN ME UP!
    Oh wait... Reality check, I don't live in the US:meh:

15. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    My job is just a job. I have found a good one in that the hours are not ever more than 30 or 40, it is close to home, and I can wear jeans and listen to music while I work. It allows me to have time to play with a band.

I worked in a place, prior to this, that expected people to want to make it a career. They expected a lot of dedication to the job and to the company, and demanded a lot of hours. They expected employees to make an effort to grow and expand and make it a career.

I *hated* it. My friends there love it, and want careers. I could not care less. All I want to do is pay the bills and have a little bit put by, and as long as I don't have to be the dedicated employee for more than a minimum of hours, I'm content.

I self-identify as a musician. Being a secretary just pays the bills, and when I leave the office, I don't give my job a 2nd thought.

Cherie

16. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I went to a fancy college and bought an engineering degree, but I see my engineering job as just a way to pay bills. There's no passion involved. I have trained for a career, but I don't think I'm more satisfied than anyone else. Think "Office Space", that's me.

17. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    +1,0000!!!

In my old corporate job, everyone was expected to socialize together, do the happy hour thing, and be uber-dedicated. Meh. I always skipped all that junk. The last thing I want to do after work is hang out with my co-workers and talk shop or gossip. YUCK!!! I didn't fit in well with those people. We didn't care about the same things.

I flunked that company's personality test, twice. No wonder! I don't have a corporate mind.

Do you encounter any difficulties by not socializing with your co-workers? We used to know a lot of cops, when my hubby was a firefighter, and they have that whole "brotherhood" thing going on. There was a lot of pressure to socialize in that circle, and when we started playing music, we found that we were not as welcome in the cop/FF circle. It was like we had cheated on them, you know?

Cherie

18. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    My job is actually my second career, after my first full-time career (a musician) came to a halt. I'm very fortunate to have an excellent job that allows me to provide security for my family, and I have flexibility that a great many people never achieve while working for a company.

That said, in my head I'm a musician, and I'll always be a musician. To this day, my wife introduces me to people as a musician, not an executive. Vacations are planned around my gigging schedule, not my day job. Our retirement investment planning is geared towards the day I can stop my day job and just go back to full-time music (which I will likely never retire from).

So to me, it's a job .... a good job, but a job none-the-less ... :cool:

19. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Something I do..
    Music is my real passion.

20. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I dont encounter much difficulty. Honestly, I don't think they want me around any more than I want to be around them. We care about different things.