is your job or work place "special"?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Apr 29, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    so, yesterday afternoon this lady calls up about her package and how her next day air shipment didnt arrive. so i look up the order, i was supposed to go out 4/27, and be delivered 4/28. for some reason, in the wharehouse, the red lable package got changed to ground. so customer got charged 54.00 for overnight, and it didnt even go out overnight. so offcourse, it wasnt going to get to her the next day.

so she calls up yesterday telling me all this. i look into it, i realize it wont be their by today, so i set up another overnight order, for no charge(no charge for the huge canopy, no charge for overnight.

so i do everything i have to do, set up the order, tell the wahrehouse about the release, tell the computer room to release this one order. so they do.

well, i come to work today, and the package has not gone out, because someone in the wharehouse put it to ground.

so this customer who is having a birthday party, will now be rained on.

great, so offcourse, im sure ill catch the heat for this.

so i ask my one boss. he says wow. and then coms back to me and says "the system is only allowed to ship this ground".

now that would be ok, but it is supposed to ship out any way we want, but no. ugh.
  2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Yes, but in a good way!

3. bmc

Nov 15, 2003

The people ya meet when you don't have a gun.
  4. Some places don't have next-day service. If its a rural area or somewhere really remote they wont guarantee it overnight. My shipping software wont let me send things overnight to all places, and some places are limited, like you can't get early AM delivery or something.
  5. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeah im aware of that, this was downtown pittsburg.

turned out it was a recycled item number(which means it was an item number years ago and we didnt carry it for awhile) and then we we got them in years later, we just used the old number.

back when we used to carry this, we never shipped these items out any air service, but now on these oversized items we have been going overnight, and charging them extra. yet this item number(though it gives the prices for overnight, the system kept recognizing the old item and wouldnt let it go out because of this. haha

just ****ed.
  6. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    My workplace is defitely "special"....

I have to document the work I do 3 different ways ALL IN THE SAME SYSTEM... If something goes wrong, and it's my assistant's fault, a vendor's fault, or just dumb luck, I get the blame.. yay me...

I get calls from my "clients" wondering where their money is... I tell them it went out <insert day here, usually the day after the check was released>. The yell at me 'cause they haven't received it yet. I calmly tell them to call me back in a few days if they don't get it.

grad school can't start soon enough...
  7. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    so special, like when you know something that would help the company in some sort of way, something that perhaps made a lot more sense the the way it is now. your managment agreeing with you, but the actual change never takes place because it makes too much sense.
  8. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    yeah... sounds about right *LOL*

I don't know HOW many times I've suggested things that co-workers agree with, and management thinks are "good ideas" and no one adopts them...

It'd be one thing if a better idea comes along... but usually, it's the status quo.
  9. lots of special people where I work...

I'm a programmer and develop custom apps for the business. I try to be very descriptive with error messages. It doesn't seem to matter. Just about everyday we re-enact this scene over the phone:

Mrs. Carbonsack: "The system is down. I'm getting an error message. It won't let me [whatever]."

me: "what does the error message say?"

Mrs. Carbonsack: "Error: invalid number - enter a number between 1 and 10. Then left-click the submit button to continue."

me: "Did you try entering a number between 1 and 10 and left-clicking the submit button?"

Mrs. Carbonsack: "No?"

me: "ok, do this; enter a number between 1 and 10"

Mrs. Carbonsack: "ok"

me: "left-click the submit button."

[pause] :eyebrow:

me: "...with the mouse."

Mrs. Carbonsack: "Ok... YES! It worked. Thanks a bunch! You guys are the best."

me: "well, you certainly keep us on our toes."

10. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
  11. wow, something i actually have not seen. some catching up to do. thx!
  12. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    You think you've got unruly customers at your job? Try being a relay operator, you have to deal with deaf people, ignorant people who think I'm trying to sell them something or don't know how to use relay, idiotic frat morons who make pranks on relay, thinking its funny that I have to say whatever they type, and stupid Nigerians trying to scam for 1200 spark plugs or printer cartridges. And the deafies are the least stressful thing about the job.
  13. I work in the tourist industry, so I get a lot of strange questions, and get accused of a lot of stuff that isn't even closely related to me. Oh yeah, and if I had to make a guess, about 1/5 of our customers don't know english or have a very bad understanding of it.
  14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Microsoft guy then huh?

:p bofh is required reading for anyone in computer related fields!

my day gig is standard "Internet Help Desk Hell" I'm the fix it guy for a medium sized NJ Telecom that started as an ISP and now has grown into Telecom supplying "Integrated Voice and Data" circuits and co-location (we sit on a data center that just installed it's second OC48!).

From Granny's win95 email and dialup issues to bouncing loops to smart jack cards to setting up Voice mail trees (I'm the generic voice of the company for those that buy into our Voice Mail system) to telneting to adtrans at customer prems to calling new hosting customers to teach them how to upload files now that they have a domain.... it's a little below & to the side of where I was in 2001 but I do this work well and it's a killer group of geeks.

Oh yeah and moonlighting as webguy for
    etc is pretty cool too

xcental34x: I use to do pre-sales tech and sales for in the 90s. More power too you... I've delt with your kind a few times. More than once I got complimented by the operator on grasping the concept and playing along. I bet you could go on for DAYS with stories!
  15. Nice work on the websites!

And yes, you are most insightful, primarily MS since 1985 (programming in c | c++ | sql ;)), with a few years on unix somewhere in between. but, I am (without shame) an MS guy - it has provided a good, marketable career platform for a long time. all my stuff, bought w/ M$ - except for the measly few pennies I've been able to make through music.

btw; around my office, we use "smart-jack" as a joke...whenever someone has a problem, we ask if they tried using the smart jack. They have no idea what that means, and we follow it up with "ahh, that probably wouldn't work anyway."

It makes the days not seem so long.
  16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Thanks, I'm not much of a designer... but I enjoy it.

I hear you on the MS reply... I was a MacOS / Graphics Guy before I sold out and started teching MS stuff :p

fyi: The "Smart Jack" is a T1 termination card installed at the customer premisis.
  17. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    dude, if you think its bad working for one of those places, its even worse getting a phone call from a relay operator.

i get atleast one a week.
    what i dont get, is why cant an operator spell a name for you?

like, the lady types in her name. the operator sees it, says it to me, but when i ask, "can you spell that for me?" i usually get, no, you would have to ask the customer to spell it.

are you ****ing serious?

ok, can you spell that name, go ahead.

s h a w n u r s c h e l e r. so, you couldnt have just said that to me when i asked you? you had to make me ask the customer.

then, when you get an operator who sounds like she can be cool. like when she sighs at the retarded questions the deaf person is making. you say something like "i guess this must be a dumb call for you eh?" "we arent allowed to speak, we can only say what was typed in." ooook no need for an attitude, just trying to shoot the ****.

i had one relay operator, who was getting really pissy with me because i asked him to spell the name and he said he couldnt that i would have to ask. so i asked him, dude, just spell the name. what the ****? by the time i had received this call, i had already spoken to the same customer 3 times about the same tent. finally he wanted to cancel the order he had done. so, i was getting very short with the operator. after about 20 minutes of this attitude, i said wow, dude, you need to grow up, im asking you simple questions and you keep giving me an attitude. apparently he typed it to the customer. the customer got all mad, hung up, then called back t speak to my manager.
  18. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    They are not allowed to spell names. We are expected to treat calls as there is no intermediate. And yeah, we cannot say anything to the callers outside of what we are told to relay. Like if they asked "how much do you get paid" or something stupid, we have to say "opr here i am not able to engage in conversation." It sounds lame, but if we're being monitored, its our jobs. Some oprs, like me will try to make it easier on both sides. If I am asked to spell a name, I will simply say (opr here spelling . . . ) but we're not supposed to. Its strict as anything. But its good money. You try having to handle mindless teenager thinking its funny to repeat "gay gay gay gay gay gay" 1 million times. Prankster can go **** themselves.

Shawn, if I ever get you on a relay call, then I'll risk my job for ya.

I would divulge my favorite moments in that job, but unfortunately, I signed a cofidentiality contact. I can't say **** and it sucks :spit:
  19. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    awesome, i work for so, if you ever get me, say whats up.

it just blows my mind the whole spelling of names thing.

what i love, is when you get a customer who is a complete idiot about stuff.

like, this dude called saying we called him(cause of a billing address) and he argued about what his billing address was for 20 minutes with me. i eventually hung up, he called back later and told a different operator the correct address(when he found out he was wrong) so my co workers was like, so you argued with another operator about your address and you were wrong the whole time? im cnacelled your order, goodbye, GO AHEAD.

as much as i hate relay calls, i hate having to cxall ups/dhl/usps because they have the most special people ever.

tho, for relay operators, im sure its really good money
  20. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    And just so you know most of these rules are based on federal regulations of relay, not just stupid corporate policies.