1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is your Real Book messed up also?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by AlphaMale, Sep 24, 2008.

1. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    It's no big deal but if you go to the end of the L's in between the second to last song in the L section, it actually begins with M, then it goes to an L song and then to the M's.

I have the Real Book Sixth Edition (Hal Leonard, Bass Clef)

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Is it because the last L song was a two-pager so they could be facing, and therefore require an M song be placed in front of it to avoid flipping?

I don't have the book in front of me, but I've seen this happen in many publications for that reason.

3. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Hmmmm... I'm going to have to check that when I get home.

4. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Isn't that part of the charm of the Real Books? Wrong changes, out of order, difficult to read, etc.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I've got one that's missing quite a few pages from the As- which is awkward as tunes like "All the Things You are " etc. - seem to be quite popular!! ;)

6. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    Ehhh... what is a real book? :bag:

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

41A2H0GB4EL._SS500_.

8. thats all i know about real books. i think i'd run a google search and come back

edit: ok so i read about it a little, i find this concept kinda weird. but anyway yeah perhaps it is smart to put together all the classic songs in a book. but then are most of the jazz bands/groups similar to what we call "cover bands" ?? i mean i dont know anything about jazz really but mostly i read about jazz musicians playing these classics or other known songs so aren't these same as like covers? no offense intended i just wanted to know

9. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    A Real Book is a giant book, FILLED with chord charts/lead sheets for Jazz standards.

10. +1 Back in the day when there were tons of jazz club gigs (70's and 80's) you could basically do a 4 hour gig with a pickup band by using one of these books. Originally, only two 'illegal' versions (i.e., the correct legal stuff had not be done to pay royalties on the tunes, etc.) existed. You had to buy it 'on the sly'. In St. Louis, there was a small store music store that sold them out of the back room. You had to 'know somebody' to get one. It was a BIG deal to have one back then.

In general, the changes were pretty good, although there were some whopper mistakes (there is a whole generation of players who are playing the wrong changes to 'Sugar' and 'Four', etc.):D

Now, they aren't such a big deal, since there are so few gigs that call for playing standards anymore. But for us 'old guys', many of us spent literally hundreds of nights of gigs playing nothing but 'Real Book' tunes.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Wel in Jazz the idea is to improvise, based on those chords or with those chords and melody as a starting point...

So in Jazz performance - you will get maybe 30 seconds of the tune - head - which may be modified - then improvised solos or group improvising which will typically stretch out to maybe 15 minutes, before ending with a reprise...!! :)

12. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    Is there something like a Metal Real Book? ;)

13. that'd be so unmetal. unless those are printed on iron sheets with some mysterious inks which glow in the dark and do weird stuff :p:ninja:

14. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I'd rather have a real doll, the whole point of her existence is to get messed up.

15. :D