is your significant other as sheltered as mine?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by KSDbass, Jan 28, 2006.

1. KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    guess who she hasn't heard of? jimi hendrix, the who, lynyrd skynyrd, AC/DC, the rolling stones!, and she pronounced children of bodom boddom....
  2. Can't blame her for not getting into Children of Bodom.....:p
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    No, the answer is no :)
  4. KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    neither can I, but boddom? i find it funny that i can hold up my end of a conversation about alot of stuff that i have no interest in (tennis, guitar, football) yet she found out wrestlers wore shoes a week ago...
  5. My girlfriend and I were watching tv and I exclaimed "The Goonies is on!" and she replied "What's a Goonies?"....long story short...yes.
  6. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    That's what she said.
  7. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Up untill a month and a half ago, my girlfriend had never heard Metallica. At least not knowingly. And she's almost 21!!

She has also never seen the Goonies. Truly a sin that I shall be fixing soon.

Though admittedly I've done quite a bit to "educate" my girl in the last year and almost-a-half.
  8. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    My wife is a very intelligent woman and there are a lot of things I'm into that she hadn't really heard of but then again I'm into some fairly esoteric stuff. She usually picks up on a lot of it pretty quickly and assimilates and enjoys. She's seen or heard and enjoyed a lot of movies and music respectively that she probably wouldn't have seen or heard otherwise. Then again there are some things that she doesn't enjoy.

Having said that, she's definitely heard of Jimi Hendrix, The Rolling Stones etc...although she probably couldn't give you a lot of facts about them.
    brad cook
  9. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I don't know if she's "sheltered" because of that, perhaps just "musically unpolished" :meh:

I have met some girls, both in romantic situations and out of it, and for me music has often been the thing that easily forms the 'common ground' - it has been really strange experience when the girl doesn't know anything about music, when it is a big part of my life.

The point in dating is finding the common ground, and it doesn't have to be one certain thing, though.
  10. threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    well, different people follow different things. I'm sure there are plenty of things she knows of that would be shocking to her to know that you don't. I know this is the case with me and my wife. Although she is aware of Mr. Hendrix but she probably couldn't tell you if one of his tunes came on the radio.
  11. KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    yeah, it just kind of came as a shock to me since I came from a school where all 90 kids in my grade knew every single Who, Hendrix, lynyrd Skynyrd, and Stones songs in existance. we also made fun of/beat up anyone who listened to rap/acted "gangsta" and now I'm at a school of 200 where the girls don't understand football and listen to rap...
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    ...and that's what makes you an anomaly Brad. :D

I like the fact that my wife is different than me in certain things. Otherwise, it would have been like marrying myself!

13. After hearing "Whats a Black Sabbath?" from my girlfriend at the time (she was very religious and hasn't heard of that in a musical setting), I knew I had to do something. After explaning it is the band that defines my existence and life, especially bass (of course), I gave her their first selftitled CD. I think she was faking interest it in, and later, after I left her house, her dad came in and told her to beware of Black Sabbath, it is the devil's music. Water-Boy style "Black Sabbath is the DEVIL!" :( ...we didn't last much longer.

She was also pretty stereotypical on the whole..."A bass? You mean a big 4 string guitar?" even though she played guitar...
  14. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002

Wow. You're really cool.:rolleyes:
  15. People in general have never heard of any of the bands I like. Sometimes, I meet people who have no interest in music whatsoever and I find them very hard to relate to since music is a very big part of my life
  16. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Well, now I feel a little better for the girl I worked with who had never heard of Duran Duran...