1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is youtube a good tool to "get noticed?"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DChalo, Apr 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. DChalo

DChalo

Dec 16, 2015
    Austin, TX
    I see a lot of youtube channels of musicians (not just bass) that have millions of views and many subscribers. Do you think talent scouts ever see something like that and directly contact them? If not, do you think youtube is a good way to make a living for people with tons of views (ie. Davie or Jared Dines)?

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

A friend of mine got a gig with the biggest metal band in his home country of Chile through his youtube videos. I have seen pictures of him opening for Iron Maiden standing in front of 60,000 people. I don't know about making a living on youtube, I think you need quite a bit of subscribers (or hits.)

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Ask Arnel who now sings in Journey.;)

elgecko likes this.
  4. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

It can happen, sometimes. There's the Justin Bieber thing, and Arnel Pineda getting picked up to sing for Journey. Closer to home, TB's @Funk$tar (wasn't that her handle? Never see her around anymore) was offered a slot touring with Joe Jonas, I think, based on her youtube vids (she turned it down). However, I think those are very much the exception. People win the lottery, too... doesn't mean buying lottery tickets constitutes a good retirement plan. Youtube is a good tool to use, but only one tool, and to market yourself or your band properly you need to use all the tools and techniques available, not just throw some videos online and pray to go viral or "get discovered."

5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I'd say for every band/artist that have over 100,000 subscribers, there are 100,000 that have less than 100. So probably not. It takes talent, and also a little bit of luck.

edit: probably more luck than talent.

6. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    My version of "The End of the World" by Skeeter Davis has over 65,000 hits. Many of them are from Finland. I believe if I ever go to Finland, people will say, "LOOK! IT'S HIM!!!"

PWRL and Anachronism like this.
  7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Hasn't worked for us yet.

8. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006