Isabella Fretless Has Arrived!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KayCee, Apr 22, 2005.

1. KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    I'm extremely excited that my Warrior Isabella 5-string fretless has arrived after a six-month wait!

I must admit that I had a few moments of uncertainty in the last six months of reading TB threads, but WOW!, this bass is unbelievable!

The body and headstock facings are spalted, flamed maple with a clearcoat finish. The body's core is 100-year-old mahogany, with the neck a mah-purpleheart-mah sandwich. The tight-grained rosewood fingerboard has side lines and dots only.

The action on this bass is like butter, with the strings going all the way down to the board when the bridge saddles are lowered. Every note on the instrument is easy to access, with a well-placed lower horn and a super comfortable neck.

The pickups are bartolini, and the TMB electronic package has a 3-way midrange switch.

The bass' tone is compressed, warm, and beautiful.

I've attempted to post a couple of photos for those that might be interested.

2. Mike McGibney

Mike McGibney Not impossible ... Inevitable

Apr 13, 2005
    Essex, UK.
    Looks stunning! I'm sure it plays better. Congrats!!!!
  3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Very nice! Great looking bass. I've played a lot of Warriors--some have been amazing, some have been less than stellar. JRaj has a pretty astounding Warrior.

Enjoy it. How about a full bass shot? I'm having a hard time imagining the headstock with the body. I don't think I've seen a Spalted headstock before. :bassist:
  4. KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    Thanks. Here's a full length shot..sorry about the glare.

5. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Gorgeous! The Isabella is one of my favorite single-cut designs.

6. My lord that is beautiful. I have never been able to get used to the thickness of a Warrior neck. If not for that , I'd be all over one.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That is very nice! Hope you enjoy it.:)
  8. KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    The body's contours, including high position access, are important factors for me. Thanks to the way the singlecut is contoured, my left thumb isn't obstucted in the highest positions.

The control cavity cover is metal with the Warror logo cut fully through to the other side. In other words, you can see into the cavity through the logo.

I appreciate all of your positive comments! :)

9. Andy,
    That is such a killer-lookin' bass!! :bassist:

What's the tone like? Would it make me cry? :bawl: I'm thinking if it has all that mahogany, it probably doesn't do the Jaco thing. And maybe that's not YOUR thing! ;) What tones does it do best?
  10. KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    Thanks, BG!

When I played the fretted version of this bass half a year ago, I was immediately struck by the beautiful, complex tone of the midrange voice. It also had the punchy, low mid "puff of air" aspect that I look for in any instrument. Without that quality, I feel that a fretless gets lost in the mix. I had a fretless five made with all of the same specs, for fear that I'd mess up the equation by changing woods, electronics, etc..

I would say that while it's not as snappy sounding as a Fender with a maple bolt-on, it still gives up that "burpy" sound in a big way.
    The sustain benefits from the neck-through aspect, and I think that the single cut compresses the upper register in a way that keeps it under control in a way that I find pleasing to the ear.

I'm finding that I'm able to back off some of the mid eq boost that I've used with other fretlesses; it seems to be built into this axe already. Backing off this eq reveals a very sweet high end as well.

Anyway, those are my early impressions. Thanks for asking!

11. Must be that 100-year-old mahogany. They just don't make trees like that anymore.