1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ISB Convention

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by james condino, Apr 1, 2009.

1. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    I've never been to the ISB Convention, but I've always had an interest. I'm trying to work out my summer trade show schedule and am interetsed in the perspective from other Luthiers who have been there. Whatcha' think? I've got a new bass that I've been thinking about entering in the competition, mainly so can get some real feedback and hopefully raise the bar on the next build. This one is a bit modern, so I'm sure the crusty old types will frown a bit.

Is it mainly a players gathering, or will there be plenty of other luthier nerds there to socialize with and laugh? What about musical styles represented- I'm mainly a jazz and newgrass player, with no classical chops at all.

Are there tonewood suppliers that show up there? I've got several dozen bass tops available and wondered if it is the place to bring them?

In short, what can I expect?

j.

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Pitchers, James? That was a sweet looking bass before it had the neck on it and I 'd really love to see what the scroll ended up being . And what color too :D

3. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    There are lots of luthiers there and you should do it. Yes, it's mainly a player's convention and you can hear some of the best in the world, even sit in on some lectures and classes if you like. if you're worried about your bass being too modern, fuggedaboudit.

Several dozen bass tops!!?? PM me with details...

4. ArenW

ArenW

Jan 14, 2004
    Cocoa, FL
    Ditto! I'd love to hear more about the tops you have.

5. Cody Sisk

Cody Sisk

Jan 26, 2009
    Lilburn, GA
    Ronald Sachs Violins
    I wish I had the time away from summer school repairs to go, and I wish it was closer to me. I'm kicking myself for not going last year when it was right around the corner from me. I hear Renaud Garcia-Fons blew everyone away with his performance..

My former slave-driver of a boss wouldn't let me go:scowl:. Hence why he's no longer my boss..:smug:

6. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Make arrangements to go. You won't regret a second of it.

7. james condino

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Thanks for the replies. The ASIA (Association of Stringed Instrument Artisians) show is the same week and about 175 miles away. Both are a roadtrip for me and I've got good friends and professional contacts going to each. It looks like the ISB competition is in the beginning of the week. Can I show up for the competition and then head out with my bass towards the end of the week and go to the other show, or will I get the "stinkeye" from the ISB crowd?

Ed:
    Good to hear from you. I thought you were cashing in on all of your big city riches and heading down to Dixie to become my neighbor! Several folks have been regularly asking me to post photos of that bass here. They're coming; I just have to slow down from gigging with it and having so much fun that I can take some images and generate a thread for it. I'd forgotten how much fun it is to build an instrument for myself, instead of just getting them strung up and then they go off to some new owner and I never see it again until the airlines or tour bus crashes it up!

As always, if I somehow just violated one or many of the numerous user rules / policies intended, unintended, or subliminally implied, my apologies to the offended person. It would be so much easier if they just encouraged us all to stick to sex and politics from the get go...

j.

8. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    The competition occurs on Monday and Tuesday, and then you can get out of town if you like.

9. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    Didn't know it was in PA this year. I might have to just bust out of some June gigs and Daddy duties and road trip to Penn State. The convention hasn't been this close to the NY/NJ area years.

Phil you goin'?

Bri

10. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    I dunno maybe. It's about a 6.5 hour drive from here....

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    In the not-so-distant future, prolly in 5 or 6 years?

12. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Don't forget to add in the several hours of spousal convincing beforehand, and the 2-4 weeks of payin' for it afterwards.

13. TomGale

TomGale

Jul 31, 2005
    American School of Double Bass
    AND you get to participate in a sing-along!

An amazing musicological discovery was recently made by the ISB, new lyrics to Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" for our very own Double Bass Fight Song! Drive, fly, walk or beam yourself over to State College, Pennsylvania and sing it with us at Penn State University, June 8-13, 2009. Hear nearly a hundred of the world's leading classical and jazz bassists perform, lecture and give masterclasses, all at one huge event.

The ISB's Double Bass Fight Song;

"Double bassists everywhere

Have conquered water, land and air.

Without us music is in vain,

So let us on your aeroplanes!

Round the world our banner's unfurled

Triumphant and all encompassing.

Double bassists will prevail

Because we are too big to fail!"

:hyper:

14. MollyKay

MollyKay

Sep 10, 2006
    Southern PA
    Bass Hobby'ist
    Okay…this sounds like a party. :)

Let me know what day you all will converge on the convention because we want to meet as many of you at one time as possible. I know we will be way out of our element (social class, genre, comfort zone)…but hey…it is always fun to meet new friends and push the boundaries. :D

This is a 2.5 hour drive for us so worth at least a one day trip.

15. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    "I know we will be way out of our element (social class, genre, comfort zone)…"

If anyone makes you feel any of the above, it's their problem, not yours. Tell'em to pull out their endpin and sit on it.

16. james condino

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Worry not Molly; myself and a few other riff-raff will look out for you while we're causing trouble in the back of the classroom. Maybe we can get Johnny to show up with that fancy pinstriped aluminum bass!

j.

17. i'll be the guy in the shorts and the cowboy boots.

18. ctregan

ctregan

Jun 25, 2007
    Syracuse N.Y.
    I'm pitching a tent at the local state park; so I'll be the guy who reeks of the great outdoors.

19. TomGale

TomGale

Jul 31, 2005
    ISB 2009 at State College, Pa, Dr. Mark Morton and I will present;

"Phrasing and Phingering in the Twenty Phirst Century"

on Wed., June 10 at 10 AM.

Mark will also give a full recital - A 'do not miss' event!

Tom Gale :bassist:

20. TomGale

TomGale

Jul 31, 2005
    Recital Update; ISB Convention - State College, Pa

Dr. Mark Morton - Friday, June 12 at 2 PM

Tom Gale :bassist: