ISB Convention

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Dave Irwin, Dec 27, 2002.

1. I'm interested in attending the 03 ISB convention. Has anyone been to one of these?
    Any suggestions for getting the most out of it?
    I've only attended flute conventions (thanks to my wife) where there are alot of performances and opportunities to check out instruments for sale.

Are there many luthiers and dealers there selling basses?

Are there particular events I should look for or avoid?

2. Dittos to what Ed wrote even if he does like NY. He should attend one sometime.

The ISB convention of 01 was my first and it was the fantastic. You have the opportunity to rub elbows with some of the greatest bassest in the world, David K., Tim L., Mark P. just to name a few. Oh, by the way, there were some other wannabees, Carr etc.

It is the one opportunity to totally immerse yourself in everything "bass" that you can imagine.

God willing, I will be in Richmond for this years ISB convention and I recommend it to everyone.
  3. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Wow, I was just gonna start a thread trying to find out how many TB'ers are going to the convention and lo and behold there already is one. Not much response though. C'mon guys, who's going? I know Arnold S. is, and I plan to attend[as long as my next bass doesn't suck]. I think it would be cool to have a TB party. ??????????????

Hey Mark-where ye' been?
  4. The convention is great-- Everything Bass! There's a large exhibition hall with more basses and bows than you could count, books, CD's, everything, and everyone rubbing elbows. During the day, except during the lunch break, there are 3 or 4 presentations to choose from, and 1 or 2 at night. I found it was best to decide which presentations you want to attend in advance, otherwise you might miss something you would have wanted to see.

At the last convention, while makin' a hang with Mike Shank, Rufus Reid walked up and started playing some basses and rappin' with us a little, and I hung out with Keter Betts and was invited to his house anytime I'm in his area (unfortunately I haven't made it yet!). I also caught Jim Stinnet's smokin' presentation.

My free-jazz bass quintet Bassrespanse is on the substitute list to present again in Richmond. I want to attend regardless, but my situation is different now and I don't know whether I'll make it. If I'm there I'll be looking forward to meeting all you TB'ers; I enjoyed meeting some of the cats in Indy.

Ray Brown was scheduled to perform on the final night, expect a HUGE tribute concert in his place.
  5. SleeperMan2000

Jul 31, 2002
    Cary NC
    How much does it cost to attend the convention? Their website said "Details forthcoming".

Do they offer accomodation?

Are the offerings geared only towards accomplished players, or would a relatively new player ( < 1 yr instruction) benefit?

6. I thought about taking my bass. Is there usually on premesis parking so I can easily get my bass in and out of the convention hall?

Do bow dealers/makers typically have an instrument to test bows on (I know it's best to use my own)

7. Ed,

Please don't be so hard on yourself.

I think the last time there was an ISB convention in NYC you lived in a small town in Ga. with a strange name that started with Bum-something.
  8. Sorrrry......When I started lurking around these dark crevices of the internet, you were in GA. You are a well traveled man with the refined culture that is only available to those that live in Queens. Will you ever forgive me?

9. In Indy parking was like any typical college campus, you had to drive around a little bit to find a spot and there was usually a little bit of a walk involved.

There will certainly be plenty of basses you can test bows on, but if you want to match a bow to your bass you'll obviously have to have your bass for that.
  10. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Although I have played the bass for many years and I am quite familiar with the ISB convention, 2001 was the first time I had ever attended.

I think the most stiking thing to me was the warm and friendly atmosphere. I sometimes forget how well bassists get along. I saw many old friends and made some new ones. The presentations / performances I attended were exceptional. The Gary Karr performance was priceless. The number of basses and bows for sale (and trial) would blow most anyones mind.

Q: "How to get the most out of this session?"
    A: Go early and stay late. Do not be afraid to approach anyone, no mater how famous. Listen, and dream.
  11. The fall '02 "Bass Line" publication of the ISB quotes registration price as 225.00 by May 25. Add 25.00 for on-site registration. Must be ISB member. 40.00 U.S. Check out www.
    The convention is June 2-7. Hard to find those dates on their publications!
  12. Hey guys, not much action on this post. ISB is next week. Any plans for a TB hang?!? Is there a bar in the Embassy Suites?

Looking forward to it!