Ischell XJack direct to Zoom recorder - Audio Sample

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by rickwolff, Feb 11, 2018.

1. rickwolff

rickwolff ‘Leave the clams in, let ’em know we're human,' Supporting Member

I like to record live gigs - mostly for my own enjoyment - and sometimes I find it is difficult to get a good recording of the bass without having it 'close-miced'.

I just tried recording my bass running the Ischell Mic direct to my Zoom recorder. It lacks some 'air' perhaps, but other than that I have to say it is a good representation of the sound of my bass. Two things worth noting: you can hear my voice quietly - even though it is a contact mic it will have a small amount of bleed-thru. Also, the top two strings are Zyez Medium and the bottom two are Spirocore Mittels. You'll hear that the Zyex are more smooth sounding and the Spiros are 'scratchier' and harder to start. I think I will try some Spiro Weichs on the bottom 2.

Also, since the XJack has BOTH XLR and 1/4 inch outputs I can run the XLR as a direct out and still use the 1/4 inch to feed my amp.

To my ear, it has a nice 'woody' sound and good attack-decay which makes it sound very natural. I think blending this with my stereo 'air mic' on the recorder will make for a nice clear recording. I'm looking forward to trying it on a gig.

It's also worth noting that as this is direct from the mic to the recorder there is no EQ taking place. What you're hearing is straight mic, which I think is impressive with how natural it sounds.

If the attached file won't play for you here it is on Soundcloud:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Max George likes this.
  2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Rick,
    Getting an error message on your
    slind file?

3. rickwolff

Don't know why, Ric. It's working OK here. Try it again?

4. Maple

Maple Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Same here - not playable

5. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Works for me.

6. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I”ll try it on the Desktop. Dosen’t work on my phone. Weird

7. Maple

Maple Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Thanks! That sounds really nice. I've been messing with my X-Jack and having a hard time getting the sound I want out of it. I'm using the 1/4" output and not sure I have the impedance set correctly for it. But I'll use your sound clip as my tuning metric - see how close I can get!

(It looks like the mp3 clip isn't working for iphone/ipad but I was able to listen on my laptop. the soundcloud clip works fine on all)

8. rickwolff

Hi Maple,

Do you mean the impedence or do you mean the low-end rolloff which is controled by the switch in the XLR jack?

Also, what position do you have it in? I found with my 7/8 bass that it seemed to sound best below the E side bridge foot - over the bass bar. This clip was of my 3/4 carved bass (Eastman 305) and there I have it in 'position 1' just below and touching the G side bridge foot.

Let me know what you are not getting out of your sound, maybe I'll have a suggestion.

9. Maple

Maple Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Thanks Rick!
    I have the built in hpf roll off in its default position and it’s running into a Felix with the Z switches in the middle setting.

I have had it mostly in #1 position but put it in #2 the other day. Haven’t tried #3 yet.

The sound is “bassey” with muffled or distant sounding mids and highs yet with a bit of high end noise. It also has a big resonance at around 117Hz that I’m not hearing with my bridge piezo pickup.

I have a full day of work so I won’t be able to dig in for a while. I suspect I should move the pickup before spending too much time on settings.

10. rickwolff

I think you're right about first moving the mic around and trying different positions. Get back to me after you've had time to mess around with it and let's see if we can help you find the sweet spot.

PS I believe the 'default' position is the most rolloff, it that is the case you shouldn't be sounding too 'bassey', but again, start with locations.

11. Happy Steve

Happy Steve Supporting Member

Maple, the pic in Ischell Contact Microphone shows my take on position 2. The 'E'-most edge of the black mic is probably just touching on the inner edge of the bass bar. Moving G-wards gives more 'thwack' and gets a bit dyn-B ish by the time I reach the midline. Actually on the bass bar gets a bit bottom-heavy for my liking. (On my Gliga 7/8... )

I would definitely experiment with geographic position (variations on position 1,2,3) and with how close the mic is seated down into the putty so the air gap is less or more. Good luck! ps default dip switch setting... never felt the need to change it

12. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    There we go, I can see the file on my iMac. Sounds lovely. Sometimes I think it's just easier to amplify a smaller bass, provided it produces the right sound.

Besides my little tiny hands aren't suited to a 7/8ths thats for real men.

13. rickwolff

It may or may not be easier to amplify a smaller bass but it sure is easier to carry one to the gig!

14. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Amen