Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ISIS fans, Show Yourselves!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Tbirdbassist, Feb 6, 2006.

1. I was listening to Panopticon all day today and these guys really ****ing sound good. The songs are all and real "epic" sounding. No crazy musicianship from anyone in the band (except maybe the Drummer) but no matter, as the band was just damn solid as a whole. I liked the bassists chorus and delay parts throughout the album (anyone know his set up?).

The only thing I didn't really like was the fact that thee was very little singing. Normally, this doesnt bother me. But for some reason, I think this band would sound even better with a great vocal presence. All in all, after 5 listens, I give it...

:bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I like everything about the band except the drummer. He plays the same drumbeat on every song.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I don't mind him too much, but I have to be in the mood for him. Otherwise I like them a lot. :cool:

4. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Great band. Check out Oceanic and Celestial if you haven't already. They are also fantastic albums.

And if you like Isis, Pelican is amazing. No lyrics though...all instrumental.

Another band you might like is Cult of Luna.

And of course the almighty, Neurosis.

5. i totally dig oceanic. i think the not in the forefront vocal presence works fantastic for them. it's a great headphone listen. i got into pelican because of isis. though i like isis more.

6. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    The only Isis album I have is Oceanic, it's good. It took me a while to get used to the singing but I like it.

7. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    OK...where can I hear sampleso fthis stuff??? C'mon...

8. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Isis are great. Neurosis are the kings though. :)

9. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
  10. jokke_v

jokke_v

Aug 15, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    :bag:

Great band! Has been one of my favourite bands for a little while now. Saw them at the Roskilde Festival last summer, and holy crapzoid what a nice concert it was. :D

11. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    Isis are one of my favourite metal bands ever, and i'm crazy about the whole Neruosis/Cult of Luna/Pelican/etc style. Can't get enough.

It took me a while to get into Oceanic at first, but repeated listenings made me fall in love with it. Loved everything else since.

12. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Have you guys heard Old Man Gloom? They're a side project featuring members of Isis, Converge and Cave In playing heavy doom. If you like the heavier Isis stuff OMG is definitely worth checkin out.

13. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    Christ yes! I love Old Man Gloom. Christmas is an amazing album

14. isis is one of my favorites, as well as neurosis.

15. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Man- I haven't thought about them for awhile. I used to dig Mosquito Control quite a bit- I remember when they played here in a pretty small club for that album, they were probably one of the top 5 loudest bands I've ever seen live (and I've seen alot of heavy bands...).

Karl

16. Isis is good but Neurosis is AMAZING! You have not lived till you've seen Neurosis live.

17. I prefer Pelican and Cult of Luna over Isis. I dont care for the vocals in Isis at all, either when they vocals were more audible or not. Sometimes Isis bores me.

And yes, Neurosis is amazing...

18. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
  19. Jeramaya

Jeramaya

Feb 18, 2007
    Madison, WI
    Isis do some incredible things, although I still haven't gotten into "The Absence of Truth." I feel like they weren't sure what they wanted to do on that one and I *hate* the mellow vocals. But I could listen to "Panopticon" every day. That album was partly inspired by Michel Foucault's book "Discipline and Punish." Good reading material.

20. ISIS is killer. All the other bands that have been suggested are also quite good in their own right. Also look for a band called Rosetta if you're ok with the angry vocals.