1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Isn't 50-110 considered heavy?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by moopants, Mar 30, 2009.

1. moopants

moopants

Oct 21, 2006
    Lake Charles, LA
    I bought a pack of Curt Mangan 50-110s and they're "medium", but I always thought 45-105 was medium in other brands. Am I right?

2. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Each brand uses it's own nomenclature...

3. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    Depends on who makes them.

4. I consider 105 heavy. 100 to me is medium and 95 is light.

But I hate heavy strings (not by choice).

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I think 40-100 is light, 45-105 is medium light so 50-110 just could be medium.

6. moopants

moopants

Oct 21, 2006
    Lake Charles, LA
    I'd consider 50-110 heavy, but it's whatever.

7. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    yes 50-110 is heavy , most people use gauges like this for downtuning. For me 105-45 feels plenty heavy with standard tuning

8. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    It all depends on who's coming up with the terminology. That's why I always asked people what exactly they wanted. D'Addario's medium is 50/70/85/105 and their lights are 45/65/80/100 (and BTW so are Ernie Balls). But LaBella's Old Original set used a 55-110 for their medium set.

jte

9. That's heavy to me. Then again, there's a great deal of opinions on that.

10. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    That ain't heavy.

I play 75-130's with a 163 low B. They are made from suspension bridge cables, and my truss rod is made out of a highway overpass "I" beam.

:bassist: :D

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

:)

12. rhapbus

rhapbus

Feb 28, 2009
    *** 75 thats my heavy d string god what kind of strings do you have

13. I think 45105 sets are usually deemed medium - I use 50110 on my SR for DGCF.

14. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    They are construction grade strings. You can't find them at a music store. I usually order them online from US Steel. They are custom made by Cables'R'Us. They are neither roundwound nor flats. They are twisted steel.

They are a bitch to install as they have no ball end to them. You have to set them in concrete and let it harden on the bass. Then to string them up, I have a friend who lets me borrow his truck winch and we stretch them and weld them to the other end.

I tune them with some spare steel plates which I weld to them at various intervals...which is kind of hit or miss.

They are really difficult to play with fingers, so I use a hammer instead of a pick. Everyone here talks about sticky strings...try playing strings with rust on them!

Oh, and the gauges aren't in mm. They are in inches (75-130 and a 163 low B), so my G string is 3/4" thick. :D