1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ISO 6 string - passive - bolt on - >$300

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sonic assassin, Mar 28, 2009.

1. just as read above.. all of these features are essential. my last 6 string (neck through) was broken and could not be glued back together, so im sticking with bolt on.

it needs to be passive.. because i refuse to play any sort of active bass. i will not budge on this.. please dont suggest it.

needs to be on the cheaper side. i loved my peavey grind, but the guy who broke it doesnt have a ton of money and id be willing to go with something cheaper (which is the purpose of this thread).

i know all of this points to something like a strat.. but i thought of the joke before you, so dont bother going there :spit::D

thanks folks.

2. jbo

jbo

May 2, 2007
    Wichita, KS
  3. jbo

jbo

May 2, 2007
    Wichita, KS
    missed the part about active electronics...but some of them have an active/passive pull tap.

4. unless its going to sound good with all that garbage ripped out, then i cant say i want to bother.

5. Wasted Bassist

Wasted Bassist

Nov 11, 2008
    Fargo, ND
    Could I bother asking why you seem to despise active pickups?

6. on all accounts, they suck. ive never heard an acceptable tone come from ANY bass with a battery in it. ever.

i super-loathe them. my vehement hatred for active electronics keeps me up at night. i scoff at those who use them because i feel they can get better tone out of a 90's squier bass thats been sawn in half.

passive only forever.

7. Wasted Bassist

Wasted Bassist

Nov 11, 2008
    Fargo, ND
    Your opinion seems underinformed, but I won't go there. Sub-$300 six-string basses are few and far between. A wise man once said, beggars can't be choosers. The Brice is a fine option. If you want an "acceptable" tone, open up your budget to about double its' current size, or get a 4 (maybe 5 if you look used) banger.

8. Whatchoo mean by *ISO*?

9. Wasted Bassist

Wasted Bassist

Nov 11, 2008
    Fargo, ND
    Oh jeez. I didn't see those three letters. What do they mean. Inform please.

10. in search of

thought that was normal forum lingo. sorry. more of a craigslist term.

ive already got a 5, and refuse to play a 4. my 6 was snapped in half and i need a replacement.

if you read my OP, its not MY budget. this is coming out of an ex-bandmate's pathetic excuse for a bank account. im doing him a favor by not demanding a replacement peavey grind.

not underinformed. if you dont like broccoli, being told of its molecular make up and health benefits wont make it taste good.

i compare the tone of an active bass to shooting a nail gun through my foot. no matter what way you look at it.. theres no upside.

11. buy active, rip the guts out, put passive electronics inside instead...

12. Thank you.

13. Wasted Bassist

Wasted Bassist

Nov 11, 2008
    Fargo, ND
    I'd suggest you have him give you cash and buy something that isn't god-awful.

14. Hi.

Gut the Peavey and install those pickups onto the cheapo active 6er.

I have had nothing but good to say for my 173€ (new) Harley Benton bolt on and 250€ (second hand) HB neck through. EXEPT for the active electronics, THEY SUCK ;).

Why they suck one might ask?
    Active="something in there that needs a battery to make any sound" (Cheapo mfg vocabulary/terminology).

These "actives" eat batteries like crazy, sound mediocre and the sound changes drastically depending of the battery state. POS and a marketing gimmick on cheapos.

If the whole bass costs less than a good active pre, it must be really good ;).

As a matter of a fact, some of those POS Chinese soapbars actually sound rather nice when the "active" circuitry is removed. For the price obviously.

Regards
    Sam

15. Find a used Hohner B Bass VI and switch off the pre.....................

16. JPhoenix19

JPhoenix19

Mar 5, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    If you go the route of gutting an active bass and making it passive, then check out the new Ibanez GSR 6-string. At $299 used it sits just in your given price range. I believe even Ibanez's Gio line has some decent quality.

17. S Sanders

S Sanders

Feb 15, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Wow. You're a far nicer guy than I (seething hatred of active electronics aside). If a band mate broke my bass I'd have his gear in my own home and him on a leash so that I could be absolutely sure he was earning the money to replace it with exactly what he destroyed.

How, exactly, did he manage to break your bass, by the way?

18. Tomas Drgon

Tomas Drgon

Mar 28, 2009
    Columbia MD
    I'd let my Dean Edge 6 (passive) go for $300 but you'd have to come get it here in Baltimore.

Drop me a line at tomasdrgon (at) hotmail dot com.

Tomas

19. thats quite a drive. dont think i could make that in my 85 grand maquis..

20. story is that his dog knocked it off the stand and it snapped the headstock off. sounds kind of hokey.. but his dog IS insane. not sure why the dog was running around the basement.. but either way, he agreed to pay for it.

its a bit difficult now that im out of the band.. but if he decides he ISNT going to pay up, then im going to do 400 dollars worth of damage to his car so he knows what its like.