1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ISO 6 string - passive - bolt on - >$300

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sonic assassin, Mar 28, 2009.

1. not good enough. theres still something wrong with the sound when you turn the pre off. point proven by warwick.

id have to gut it. those do look like nice basses though. theres a dealer on ebay that is always selling a ton of them.

2. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    You live in Cincy and drive an 85 Grand Marquis?

You're sitting on top of a pile of style for the mile. Big old American iron looks good in the river town.

Clean that thing up, sell it to Freekbass for big money, and go get a Yaris and TWO new Peavey Sixes.

One six for you, and the other one for your buddy (and his dog) to borrow.

3. HA! im actually just about to sell it to my uncle for a demo car and buy an 84 grand prix in MUCH better shape.

i got the marquis for 200 dollars.. the grand prix costs 500. ive never paid more than 500 dollars for a car..

4. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Good luck finding a bass. Have you been searching the local Craigs List and Ebay?

I believe that you'd get a better bass for the money if you take the $300 from him and add in some of your own money. If you look in the $500-700 range, you should be able to find more options.

I disagree with your assessment of active electronics. Go try an MTD or a MusicMan bass. In my experience, active electronics aren't inherently bad, it's cheap active electronics that are bad.

Based off of your profile, many of your influences have played active basses...so they'd sound better playing a sawed in half Squier? :rolleyes:

5. i perused ebay a few times. not a lot of good options. never any good basses on cincinnati craigslist.

im not putting MORE money into a bass.. he broke mine.. he is replacing it. i dont HAVE any money.. and thats why i drive a 1985 grand marquis.

music man would sound mediocre if i took a baseball to the ear, and i picked up an MTD the other day because it looked cool and after not being able to EQ a remotely tolerable sound out of it, put it down. cant disagree with an opinion. batteries in bases are sacrilege.

they are my influences because of their playing.. only a couple of them have good tone. they happen to play american fenders..

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Wow. :rolleyes:

I disagree quite strongly with your opinion. I'll enjoy my battery equipped basses...and other people playing battery equipped basses. I've never had a gig where people say "You would sound a lot better if you played bass without a battery." I have heard "I really like your bass sound", "I love your playing", "How'd you get that tone?" lots of time. My bass in 99% of those electric settings? StingRay5...amazing how opinions can vary.

No idea of price, but I think Dean makes a passive 6.

Just like my last post, I believe you'll be far better off spending a bit more money to get a better instrument.

He broke it, you're now looking for a new bass, do you really want to get a bass that is of a lesser value/quality than the one you previously owned?

MF has Peavey Grind BXP 6 for $470. If you would put in $200 of your own money, you could get the same type of bass as what you previously had.

I'd take your situation as a way to get bass that costs $300 more than what you would have otherwise been able to afford. If you have a job, save up some money. If you don't have a job-get one, and save up some money.

Limiting yourself only to passive 6 strings in the $300 and under price range will eliminate right about every possibility.

Good luck.

7. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    On the car thing.

When I drove [i moved to Chicago and sold the car], I drove an 84 Impala. I still played a StingRay5. It's all in where your priorities are.

8. most people like active tone these days.. because they are all sheep and go with whatever is new. i dont care how many people like your tone.. i dont.

ive looked at dean once, didnt see a passive 6, but i could very well be wrong.

i dont want another neck through. so no more grind. and he doesnt have a lot of money and doesnt HAVE to pay for it.

ive got a job and work very hard.. but i cant be out buying guitars. i drive a garbage car and wear tattered clothes because of my instruments.. no more money to go around. so im replacing what i lost with something equal or lesser (and likely better fitting to my needs).

9. and i was going for "you cant tell someone their opinion is wrong" there. long weekend.. im all over the place.

10. RONQUITO

RONQUITO

Dec 27, 2007
    Active tone is new? haha! that´s a good one.

BTW when you get that passive sixer/under 300 bucks/holy grail, do us all a favor and don´t let it sit on a stand while you´re not close by...

I have a friend who recently suffered the decapitation of his beloved LesPaul because he wouldn´t put it in it´s case after rehearsal, the guitar always sat in a freakin´stand no matter how many times i told him THAT exact thing could happen.

I would die if my very very old bass was beheaded because of something that silly, if it´s not im my hands, it sits on its case.

Sorry for the little derail, good luck on yer search.